Photo: Is Barney more Wilma? axie egg id

dazkeirle

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Display Name
Daz
Hi all,

So i moved house a week ago and put my axies weird behaviour down to new surroundings, however this evening just saw this, please can somebody id whether or not they are eggs stuck all the way up the airline tubing and in the plant.

Thanks

223368_10150175992132557_509467556_6734934_124798_n.jpg
[/IMG]

Hehehe, who'd have thunk it eh? Congrats!

Definitely Wilma.

damn it, more this morning.

OK I have no intention of growing anymore right now but would like to maybe harvest the eggs to give to others etc.

Whats the best way of storing the removed eggs for longevity?

How long do I have to get rid of them?

Caudata Culture Articles - Shipping Any help?

I heard that first batches of eggs often weren't very good though, not sure if this is true or not.

I might be interested in some though... The bf and kids have been asking for some axolotls for a while and I'm beginning to cave to the idea, unfortunantly I can't seem to find anywhere to get any from :(

Edit: Apparently the colder the temperature the longer they take to hatch... So don't let them get warm and I guess you've got longer to decide what to do with them!

Last edited:
I'm guessing Barney / Wilma will be a pale coloured axie then? ;)
There'll be plenty of takers here, I should think, but I can PM a few other site suggestions, for wider advertising, if you like :happy:

OK so loads more eggs today. I mean loads.

I decided I'll try removing what i can and giving away to members / selling on ebay any i can.

So should anybody want any, hit me up.

Removing them wasn't as easy as expected, difficult to be too delicate when that jelly goo is so solid.

Wilma wasn't happy with me removing them so I've left some, still quite a lot in my first harvest container though.

Surprise fun and games here.

Attachments

• IMAG0300.jpg
    IMAG0300.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 349
  • IMAG0301.jpg
    IMAG0301.jpg
    125.9 KB · Views: 1,635
  • IMAG0307.jpg
    IMAG0307.jpg
    277.2 KB · Views: 442
  • IMAG0315.jpg
    IMAG0315.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 381
  • IMAG0313.jpg
    IMAG0313.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 307
  • IMAG0318.jpg
    IMAG0318.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 599
I can tell you, they are the hardest thing to get the eggs off of, sooo sticky.

I'm not good with the genetics stuff, from leucistic dad and wild type mom, what would the offspring likely be?

Fred has shiny eyes, but skin appears matt and not shiny.

Barney is standard Wild Type, with shiny skin.

Thanks.

I'm not good with the genetics stuff, from leucistic dad and wild type mom, what would the offspring likely be?

Fred has shiny eyes, but skin appears matt and not shiny.

Barney is standard Wild Type, with shiny skin.

Thanks.

It depends on Barney's (Wilma's) parents.

If she is a wildtype/wildtype (both her parents being wildtype) then as that is dominant all the offspring will be wildtype. If she is a wildtype/leucistic then there's a chance that some of the babies will be leucistic.

There's a page that explains it Axolotls - Genetics and Colour.

I'm not very good at explaining things, but I know what I mean :)

Oh! I thought the eggs looked pale! Are they dark on 1 side + light on the other?
Egg colour is dependant on the mum - if she is dark, the eggs will all be dark, but if she is 1 of the light colours, they will all be white. This has no bearing on what hatches out of them though. The most obvious answer to what colour will the babies be is a mixture of wild-type + leucistic. However, if both parents have other colour types (such as golden) in their genetic history, there is a chance of some of the babies being a different colour.

Last edited:
The mossball looks like a christmas ornament! :D
Good luck with your eggs!!

From what you've said about them, I'd guess Fred to be d/d (possibly with A/a, as this wouldn't show through, but would still be present in his inheritable genetic info) + Wilma is D/d or D/D + a/a, but since this is the 1st time I've tried working it out, I could be completely wrong :D

How does that affect the offspring? If Wilma is D/D, all the babies should be dark wild-types, as D is dominant over d. If she is D/d, then there should be a mix of dark + white wild-types (leucistics).
Now for the irridesence. If Fred is A/s, then the babies have a chance of being shiny. If he isn't, there will be no shiny babies, because A is dominant over the a of Wilma.

Of course, if either of them have other recessive genes (the lower case letters), these could show through in the babies, even if not obvious in the parents.

Now, can someone who actually knows these things check that please? LoL! ;)

So a week on and this is alot of fun.

I've managed to sell quite a few on ebay, and the vast majority of the eggs fertilised property and show good signs of life.

They are at day 7 or 8 from this chart I think :Axolotls - Embryo Photo Log, look forward to seeing the gills tomorrow :)

There is a hidden surprise amongst the brude that I'll show you all later but to be honest as much as sisn't want to, I love bringing these eggs up, amazing fun.

You can see them change, from inanimate to life in the blink of an eye.

The concensus is that Barney is still Barney, it's not fair on her to have to change her name, and Barney is fairly unisex.

Now that they've both calmed down and are back to their old selves (After some post-coital earthworms) I've been treating them with some of the vast amount of red cherry shrimp I've been breeding.

I'll give you some more updates asap.

You can keep Barney the way she is. They don't have ears anyway ;)

You'd better get started on rearing what kinds of foods you're planning on feeding your new little mouths.

Luckily I planned to rear some eggs before i got Barney so am pretty up on whats required.

I have some brine shrimp eggs here, they've been stored dark but not particularly cold. I'll get an inc setup today/tomorrow and see if they're any good, but will buy some more just in case.

I just gotta pop out now and get some L bend plastic bits and some airline, suppose I'm gonna need two, means I've have to finish that 2 litres of Coke (with a shedload of Jack in it :) )

Anyway, In the eggs is a twin embryo, and both are fertilised and are showing movement.

Luckily I managed to catch it on video, here's the clip (twitching near end):

YouTube - Axolotl Embyo with Twin Featus - Twitching

I certainly hope it's possible for them both to survive, anybody got experience. I hope that when one leaves the egg it doesn't starve the other.

Would be neat of the offspring of Fred and Barney to be twins and on this occasion, because they are the only twins in the whole lot I think it would be nice for them to be the ones which I personally keep, and that will end up living with the parents, what do you think?

Here's some photos too:

IMAG0342.jpg

IMAG0343.jpg

IMAG0341.jpg

In the end I decided to sell / give away all of the eggs this time around as I was just too unprepared for them.

The only ones I really were keen to keep were the twins however unfortunatley they died.

I sold 4 batches on eBay and gave a load to Loobylou, who received hers today.

Unfortunately it appears the van must have been warm as a few appear to have hatched in transit after just 12 days, but she tells me they are swimming about and hopefully they will survive.

Look forward to hearing how the first lot do.

In the end I decided to sell / give away all of the eggs this time around as I was just too unprepared for them.

The only ones I really were keen to keep were the twins however unfortunatley they died.

I sold 4 batches on eBay and gave a load to Loobylou, who received hers today.

Unfortunately it appears the van must have been warm as a few appear to have hatched in transit after just 12 days, but she tells me they are swimming about and hopefully they will survive.

Look forward to hearing how the first lot do.

3 had hatched yesterday before they arrived, 11 hatched last night/this morning. I offered them some bbs this morning, but none of them seemed interested. Not too worried though as they are probably still digesting the egg yolk. I'll offer them some more later on. Only 6 eggs left to hatch (sadly 3 were dead on arrival). The larvae have all been moving around every now and again. One of them hatched with a little crooked tail, but it seems to be straightening out now. He tends to swim in circles but is the most active out of all of them so far. We called him Bendy, original eh?!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back