Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Illness/Sickness: Should i worry about it?

Precious

Reaction score
Hello,

Maybe someone will suggest, what to do.. In 30 litre aqua i have one wild-type axolotl. The water parameters are fine. Before few days i noticed that he has started floating, but he ate very well, so i stopped worrying. I gave him earthworms and blood-worms.. Today i noticed that his anus is very red and all day he can't finish making poop.. and he is still floating, acting very anxious.
Maybe this is because aquarium bottom filled with sand? He could swallow some while eating.. :confused:

I would be very grateful for your suggestions..

mewsie

Reaction score
Hello,

Maybe someone will suggest, what to do.. In 30 litre aqua i have one wild-type axolotl. The water parameters are fine. Before few days i noticed that he has started floating, but he ate very well, so i stopped worrying. I gave him earthworms and blood-worms.. Today i noticed that his anus is very red and all day he can't finish making poop.. and he is still floating, acting very anxious.
Maybe this is because aquarium bottom filled with sand? He could swallow some while eating.. :confused:

I would be very grateful for your suggestions..

Are you able to post us any pictures please? It would really help.

How big is your axolotl? 30 litres is too small for an adult. What filtration do you use?

Do you have any other rocks in the tank your axie could have swallowed? Sand is usually ok.

Some axolotls float for fun, but if your axolotls cloaca (anus) is red and he's struggling to poop then it sounds like something is wrong.

It may be that your axolotl is going to need a holiday in the fridge to help him pass this poop, but if you can get some pictures up that would be great.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1