Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: Food for axies

emz

Reaction score
Hi just wondering if anyone feeds there axolotl frozen whitebait? As the petshop im buying mine from suggested it but im unsure. They said they defrost it and cut it into chunks. Im preparing my new tank before i go and get my first one next week and dont know if to get some while im there or stick to the usual foods iv heard of? :confused:Thanks

Neil C

Reaction score
I believe whitebait are a marine fish so probably not a good idea to feed apart from the very occasional treat. If you do I would suggest making sure they are properly thawed out first, then giving it a very good wash, cutting it into fairly small pieces and making sure there are not bones or gills etc sticking out.

Regards Neil

emz

Reaction score
Thanks i might try a few but think i will mainly stick to the usual foods. :happy:

mewsie

Reaction score
My three think their regular ol' earthworms are the best treat in the world ever!

Minniechild

Reaction score
Agreed with the earthworms (Oh how I look forward to when the earthworms return!), but if yours don't like them (And a few of mine will be temperamental about accepting them...), might I suggest live blackworms (can be a bit smelly if not washed out), frozen bloodworms (They have great fun attacking the floating blocks and 'hunting' out their dinner), and beef heart (though the image that accompanies it is of a little axie jumping out of the water, ripping a cow's chest open and nom nom nomming on its heart :D)

emz

Reaction score
Cool i will get some bloodworms then until i can get my hands on some earthworms!
Cheers :happy:

mewsie

Reaction score
Cool i will get some bloodworms then until i can get my hands on some earthworms!
Cheers :happy:

After many a (very) messy meal time with bloodworm, I found the best way to feed it to them was by sucking some up in the turkey baster and dropping it in front of their noses. Others use feeding jars which looks like a very sensible way to do it too!

Just remember to completely defrost the cubes first, it's not good for them to eat it frozen.

Minniechild

Reaction score
Quote: Just remember to completely defrost the cubes first, it's not good for them to eat it frozen.
Hmmm... didn't know that...
Just wondering @mewsie, why :S?

richardj

Reaction score
I found the best way to feed it to them was by sucking some up in the turkey baster and dropping it in front of their noses.
What a clever idea. I'll definitely try that next time I'm feeding blood worm.

memojo1979

Reaction score
My recommend earthworm guy - http://www.caudata.org/forum/f49-ad...als/75694-recommended-earthworms-ebay-uk.html

As for eating frozen bloodworm - it's not good for any animal to eat frozen food. We've probably all had a "slushie" which gives "brainfreeze" if slurped too quick, but imagine only having them + ice creams / ice lollies + transfer the idea of "brainfreeze" to the stomach instead :(
I also used a squirt-in-front-of-the-nose technique, when building up my friend's very skinny axies (but, with a pipette instead of a baster)
Try pieces of eartworm, instead of whole earthworms (but soak them in clean water before offering to your axie, as they secrete a nasty taste when cut up, or bitten) - another thing I've had to get used to doing for my friend's axies, which are now happily eating the correct diet - it's taken a long time for the transition, but I get a real feeling of accomplishment from it. I think I need to do some for my axie boy too, as he's been off his food recently - he'll try munching worms, but just spits them back out again nearly every time :(

emz

Reaction score
Thanks for the recomendation will have to try some earthworms too if they are the best all round food! I appreciate all the help i feel a lot more prepared to go and get my new pet now. Cant wait! but have to wait until tues will put some photos on as soon as he/she has settled in. :D

mewsie

Reaction score
Just wondering @mewsie, why :S?

What Jo said! We all worry about fluctuations in water temperature, I guess thats worse from the inside out! *shivers*

Plus, I believe if you defrost the cube and drain the water away you aren't adding unnecessarily to the bioload of the tank with the melt.

Kaytiandpixie

Reaction score
i occasionally make a little game out of blood worm feeding,i let the cube thaw and i grab some with the tweezers i use and wiggle it around in the water till a few fall out, and my little axie swim around to get them its pretty cute and they seem to enjoy it. other then that a feeding jar can be extremely helpful

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1