Question: Sick or just normal?

spaca

Reaction score
Country
Belgium
hi everyone this is my very first time and im getting worried about a line of yellow dots on my axolotls skin it is not bubbles they look like the skin was painted with smal yellow circles the make a line right next to the spine on both sides from head to tail my water is cristal clear and perfectly healthy and they seem to be ok no stress marks eating fine its just thouse yellow dots that i dont know what to do and ill make another question about tank mates i have a big catfish he is always cleaning the glass and its do shy that if the axolotl looks at him he goes faraway to some dark place so here is the question would that be a problem ?
by the way the tank is 50liters good or no good for 2 axolotls and the catfish?

Hey, nothing to worry about regarding the yellow, it's totally normal. They are xanthophores and part of the normal range of pigments you can find in axolotls. One of mine has them, too!

About the catfish though - I'm not a fish keeper so perhaps someone with more knowledge of specific breeds will help out here, but the general rule is you don't keep fish with axolotls, especially the sucky kind, they can harm your axolotl, even fatally.

How big are your axolotls? 50litres sounds terribly small for two adults.

I wouldn't keep any sort of catfish in with an axolotl because catfish's fins are extremely sharp and hard. I'm been cut by a catfish's fin on my hand (hard enough ti draw blood) so imagine what it would do to an axolotls insides if they decided that it looked like a tasty meal.

they are really small i didnt even try to mesure them they fit in the palm of my hand
so i think in a year or less ill be able to buy a bigger tank how big should it be? and yes just as u said(look like you saw the future about the catfish) one of my axolotls have a cut in hes tail can be the catfish he is a huge catfish like 2 times the axolotl

they are really small i didnt even try to mesure them they fit in the palm of my hand
so i think in a year or less ill be abthe catfish) one of my axolotls have a cut in hes tail can be the catfish he is a huge catfish le to buy a bigger tank how big should it be? and yes just as u said(look like you saw the future about like 2 times the axolotl
You should remove the catfish strate away before your axie gets hert again or worse gets killed.

well big prob now is.....WHERE do i put the catfish X( it costed 30euros to me and im not the type that spends 30 euros for nothing can petshops trade fishes? or even dor food?

Do you have a container or tank to put it in you could always sell it if you don't have room for it

Do you have a container or tank to put it in you could always sell it if you don't have room for it
well ill try to sell it or trade it but for now ill try to put him in a container poor thing i liked him

well ill try to sell it or trade it but for now ill try to put him in a container poor thing i liked him
You don't HAVE to sell it if you don't want to and you can provide a suitable place for it to live. What speices of catfish is it?
Sam:happy:

You don't HAVE to sell it if you don't want to and you can provide a suitable place for it to live. What speices of catfish is it?
the one who likes to suck in the glass all black with white dots

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Am thinking its a Bristlenose Catfish and if so they are tropical and prefer warmer waters so you would be doing both your axie and catfish a favour by seperating them :) Good luck!
[/FONT]

As for the question about tank size... two full grown axi's will be quite happy in a 3foot long tank... however bigger is always better :wacko:

As for the question about tank size... two full grown axi's will be quite happy in a 3foot long tank... however bigger is always better :wacko:
well iv been watching a lot of videos on youtube of axolotls owners and 50liter tank is pretty good for 0-6 years old axolotls mine are like 1 to 2 moths they have almost the size of my finger :) i think ill change the tank in about 2 to 3 years

How's the catfish? post some pics and I may be able to tell what speices it is,

well iv been watching a lot of videos on youtube of axolotls owners and 50liter tank is pretty good for 0-6 years old axolotls mine are like 1 to 2 moths they have almost the size of my finger :) i think ill change the tank in about 2 to 3 years

You'd be surprised how fast they grow! Thats what I thought, too, but Chester and Roscoe reached adult size (even though they may get bigger still - yikes) by about 8 months old! I was so surprised.

It definitely does not take 6 years for them to reach adulthood - did they/you mean 6 months, maybe?

I am feeling bad keeping my smaller axie on his own in a 54l tank, there is just not enough room for him to swim about. There is no way I would keep two in there. I know folks say axies just sit around for the most part, but two of mine are big swimmers :) So, *sigh* that's me having to put my new bass pedals on hold again to spend the cash on another big tank!

I'd plan to be replacing that tank soon, if i were you!

Attachments

• IMG_1022.jpg
    IMG_1022.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 164
You'd be surprised how fast they grow! Thats what I thought, too, but Chester and Roscoe reached adult size (even though they may get bigger still - yikes) by about 8 months old! I was so surprised.

It definitely does not take 6 years for them to reach adulthood - did they/you mean 6 months, maybe?

I am feeling bad keeping my smaller axie on his own in a 54l tank, there is just not enough room for him to swim about. There is no way I would keep two in there. I know folks say axies just sit around for the most part, but two of mine are big swimmers :) So, *sigh* that's me having to put my new bass pedals on hold again to spend the cash on another big tank!

I'd plan to be replacing that tank soon, if i were you!
my axolotls like to hang in the plants and float when they swim they tend to use their arms to swim and not the tail so its like SUPER SLOW MOTION swim XD i kinda like it but still do they grow that much??? omg i already have 3 tanks one with the axies one with a betta and one with gouramis if i buy a new tank what sort fish or amphibian can i keep in the 50 liter tank? i dont like to have empty tanks hanging arround my house XD

well i have an idea would the cat fish with 10cm leave in a 25liter aquarium for 6 moths?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back