Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Big tank on second story of the house?

caseeybrown

Reaction score
I want to know whats the biggest size tank you have in a bedroom/2nd level of the house?:confused:

Because my axie tank is in my bedroom but its only 2ft and i want to buy 3 or 4ft tank so the axies will have a lot of room

..my mums argument however, is that it will be too much strain on the floor to have that big of a tank in my bedroom with all that weight and it will fall through the floor?!

I dont know if thats possible or if id have any problems with that so let me know what you guys have!

(and then i can show my mum this thread and ultimately buy a four ft tank soon):rolleyes::angel:

Oh and she wont let me have it downstairs!

smily sam

Reaction score
depending on the structure of your building, i have a few tanks in my bedroom the biggest is 3ft

Aaran

Reaction score
The tank will be fine aslong as you keep it to the corners of the room,

also try to keep it over the roof beams

They are big beams that run one way along your house :)

Make sure its supported correctly on a good piece of furniture and you wont have a problem,

:D

Aaran

Reaction score
No need to go offtopic dude ;)

you wont know this but she is using a phone too lol.

Aaran

Reaction score
infact ile change the "wont" to "might" know this hehe xD

caseeybrown

Reaction score
I am indeed using a phone, sam you spell daphnia with a "th" so its all good ;)

Anyways, ive decided that im gunna get a 3ft tank because then its bigger.. But not too big that the mother can moan at me for it being too big!

..and maybe i just realised a 4ft tank wouldnt fit in my room anyways hehee

mewsie

Reaction score
lol, Sam, m'dear, you've got a way to go before you are ready to start correcting other people's spelling ;)

Both me and my boyfriend were a little stressy about putting the tank in the kitchen (we're in a 100yr old Glasgow tenement flat, with a flat below us) as we didn't much think the downstairs neighbour would appreciate waking up to two axolotls on his face trying to eat his nose, but we figured a full aquarium was really no different to a bath full of water+person, or a full washing machine... I hope, hahaha!

caseeybrown

Reaction score
Ahmen mewsie ;)

Yeah! Thats what i was thinking!! Bedrooms and second stories are made be to strong because wardrobes, beds all that jazz.. Theyre all heavy!

Tbh i think my mum is just fed up of me going on and on and on about axies all the time! And it probs is annoying cause im always pestering her to take me places to look at stuff id want for them
( and plus she probably thinks ill use the 2ft tank i have now for some other kind of critter.. Which i might have done if i had two.tanks hehe)

3ft would be ok for two adult axies im hoping?

smily sam

Reaction score
I don't meen to be sarcastic or rood at all, its just that Kaysie gave me a worning for bad spelling and lack of puncuation, and I hope non of you get a worning.
Sam:happy:

mewsie

Reaction score
Ahmen mewsie ;)

Tbh i think my mum is just fed up of me going on and on and on about axies all the time!

3ft would be ok for two adult axies im hoping?

Exactly. Well she has no excuse now... mwuahahaha!

3ft would be great for two!

I don't meen to be sarcastic or rood at all, its just that Kaysie gave me a worning for bad spelling and lack of puncuation, and I hope non of you get a worning.
Sam:happy:

What can I say?

I don't think the odd spelling mistake is an issue, Sam. Lord knows I make them myself, and quite frequently courtesy of the iPads wondrous and often inexplicable autocorrect function! But at least, I'd suggest you don't publicly correct people for something you aren't an angel at yourself, it's a bit cheeky - it'd be like me pulling people up for being late, lol, I'm rarely on time, so can't really chastise someone else for it ;)

caseeybrown

Reaction score
Great! I keep worrying that they wont have enough room to live in but if 3ft is good for two then im happy.. Ofc i will still HOPE to get a 4ft tank so theyre spacious :D if i wish for it enough it'll come true right..? :D

Sam i think the "warning" was probably not serious, so i wouldnt worry too much :)

mewsie

Reaction score
Hahaha, your mum will totally love that I reckon! Why not just get a 6 foot tank and be done with it? ;)

My two biguns are in a 3ft3 tank and they've plenty of room to roam.

I will most likely upgrade further when we own our own place, but the thought of moving a 3fter is bad enough.. :S

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
I lived on the second story of a grand old house once, and didn't have any problem keeping a whole load of aquariums in one room. I had a 55gal full-up, as well as various half-full aquariums.

As for the spelling issue y'all seem to be dwelling on: We pride ourselves on being a multi-national forum. We want to ensure everyone has an enjoyable and educational experience, even if they don't speak English as a first language. To ensure everyone gets the same information, we ask that everyone uses proper grammar, punctuation, and spelling. It's not that anyone's out to 'get' anyone else.

Last edited:

MereB

Reaction score
It's all about weight dispersal. If you're really worried about it you can place a flat board under the stand/desk/furniture your tank is on then the weight of the tank will be spread over the area of the board reducing the pounds per square inch force being exerted on each inch of the floor. Spreading it from 4-6 small points to one very large one. Same principal as placing balloons under the top of an upturned table so they will support the weight of a person standing on top without popping or the physics behind the good old bed of nails and why the person laying on it isn't impaled by all the nails.

Get your big tank then buy a single board that is large enough to fit under all the legs of whatever your tank is on and you will be absolutely fine no matter where you place the tank in the room.

mewsie

Reaction score
Same principal as placing balloons under the top of an upturned table so they will support the weight of a person standing on top without popping or the physics behind the good old bed of nails and why the person laying on it isn't impaled by all the nails.

Well that's my afternoon sorted.

Aaran

Reaction score
You should be perfectly fine with the 3ft, im aiming to have 4 axies in my 3fter, should just about be enough floor space for 4 adults as it is the higher tank 1.5 ft high, going to use a few platforms higher up for more roaming space :)

Wonder if that will cope xD

Dont worry about spelling sam, i used to be very particular on mine and im using a keyboard!

As someone has said, If you spread the weight you should be fine!

I want a 6fter!

caseeybrown

Reaction score
Id kill for a huge tank! I still think ill end up with a four ft eventually, yeah i know what you mean about spreading the weight, thats why i want a tank that comes with a stand thats a cuboard rather than a frame because of the flat part on the bottom (and i need more storage space hehee! )

Im actually thinking about getting my grandad to make a stand or something cause then i can incorperate my smaller tank into the stand which i wanna have shrimp/worm farm in :D

Four ft tank WILL actually fit and i think my mum will let me upgrade when she sees the axie actually in my tank (dont even have them yet hahaa) cause she prefers larger spaces for animals too :D it would be in a corner against a wall so itd be finee!

Isit still alright to use internal filters for.larger tanks because theres.no way i could afford a canister filter :(

I agree with kaysie, but we all make typos now and again especially on this poorly calibrated phone :mad:

I just had a vision.. Imagine a tank that stretched round the room :O ..dunno if your picturing what i am but it would be in a sort of O shape so you could walk into the room, stand in the middle and spin round and the tank would cover the wall.. Imagine how many axies you could have!! Id have my bed in the middle and then there would never be need for a tv

..i know whats going on my christmas list this year!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1