Only half axi related

Boo Penguin

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Hey everyone

This question is sort of not axi related but it is at the same time.

I have my axi on my desk which is all fine and dandy... except my dog HATES her. He's continually jumping at the desk to try and get a look and barking at her when she moves. I don't know if its stressing Lotl but its stressing me. He even jumped onto the desk the other day and slammed right into the tank.

Any ideas on how to solve this issue. I love both of my pets dearly and want happiness (and quiet) for them both

You need to have words with Lotl and tell him to stop tormenting your dog ;)

Is your dog normally well behaved? How does he normally respond to discipline, while you are out, etc?

Lolz I'm sure she is only teasing a little

My dog is pretty well behaved, he responds well to discipline and is pretty submissive. He's always been the barky type though

What type of dog? How long have you had the axolotl and did the behavior start pretty much as soon as you got it?

Dogs have a built in prey drive, and to see something move fast out of the corner of their eye can trigger that instinct resulting in barking. It's also something new, different and a change.

Is it just the barking or are there any other behavior issues going on (such as inappropriate uh.. bathroom usage?).

Does your dog know any commands such as sit, stay, quiet? If so I would start there. Have the dog come near the tank and reward the behavior you want while ignoring or discouraging the one you don't.

It's a little harder to introduce aquarium life to dogs, I can't give all my normal cat to dog or dog to dog scent suggestions :lol: I can look in my textbooks if you want though, see if I can find anything!

Hi Mel

He's a poodle cross bishon. I've had my Lotl for about 3 months now, however the barking only started about a month after I have got Lotl. I have however had goldfish for over a year and my poodle has never bothered with them.

No peeing... only barking and jumping. Normally he only gets that way around other dogs.

Oh yes he knows sit and stay, as I said above he's very submissive but I don't like to use that against him (he's a rescue dog you see... and his old owners abused him :mad:).

He's only naughty sometimes, right now for instance he's sleeping peacefully next to me and leaving Lotl alone... but my BF is at my desk so maybe thats keeping him quiet.

Hmm I've already tried classical conditioning on him a few times... with both rewards a punishments. It has an effect but I worry about the consistency... as he probably still barks and jumps whilst I'm out of the house.

Thanks for your opinions... I'll try it again

Could always set up an automatic squirt gun with a trip line across the front of the tank, so whenever he jumps up he gets hit by a stream of cold water (Works with my cat...)?

Could always set up an automatic squirt gun with a trip line across the front of the tank, so whenever he jumps up he gets hit by a stream of cold water (Works with my cat...)?
Awesome idea... that sounds cool

But unfortunately my dog thinks that water squirting him is a game... I tried a quirt bottle already

Is it possible he's jealous? Do you tend to watch your axie when it moves? Irresistable, I know, but think about whether you do it subconsiously.
Do you allow your dog on your lap? If so, give him a snuggle while your sitting watching the axie tank. Every time he barks, put him on to the floor + ignore him, but when he sits contented on you lap with no barking (while you are also paying attention to the axie tank), make sure you give him plenty of stroking + talk to him.
Possitive association with the axie tank ;)
Will work even better if that is the only time you'll fuss him in your room.
Worth a try ;)

@ Mojo

Oh yes he sits on my lap, he's a very cuddly little guy. He even sleeps on my bed some nights (when he's not with mum and dad). I don't really know if I do watch Lotl subconsciously... I might but he also does it when I'm not in the room at all.

I'll defiantly try that though... and I'll tell you how it goes

:D

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back