How much..

None :)

Gravel is terribly bad for axolotls, because they suck it up when they feed. It can (and often does) impact in their belly and can kill them.

I would recommend a thin layer of sand (couple of cm at most) or a bare bottom, for the easy and cheap option. Make sure the sand is not crushed coral sand as this can affect your pH. Just regular silica sand is fine.

Just make sure sand is rinsed for ages and ages before it goes in.

This page is great for all manner of axiescaping do's and dont's!

Last edited:
but that gravel is really small and is almost like sand

Where does it say it's almost like sand?

Almost like sand isn't sand. And if you were buying something almost like sand, why not just buy sand?

it doesn't say it but its really small gravel

and because there isn't much variety of sand on that shop, also I'm not saying im actually getting that gravel, I basically just want to know how much in kg's i would need for an axolotl tank

the word "gravel" is used in the product description and name, therefore it is unsuitable for axies.

children's play sand is a suitable substrate, or none at all. that gravel may be fine, but you must remember that it is still gravel, abrasive and potentially life-threatening for a axie. they have no scales, so having to crawl on that substrate all day would be like dragging your bare belly on coarse sandpaper.

you must remember that axies are not fish and as a axie keeper, you must home them accordingly.

the word "gravel" is used in the product description and name, therefore it is unsuitable for axies.

children's play sand is a suitable substrate, or none at all. that gravel may be fine, but you must remember that it is still gravel, abrasive and potentially life-threatening for a axie. they have no scales, so having to crawl on that substrate all day would be like dragging your bare belly on coarse sandpaper.

you must remember that axies are not fish and as a axie keeper, you must home them accordingly.

Well said.

As far as how many kgs... Not sure, perhaps someone else has a clue. I went into my local fish seller and he scooped out of a big bag into a carrier bag until I guessed it was enough. Worked out a LOT cheaper than buying online, tbh, shipping is pricey. Might be worth trying that, got a local place you can get to? I can't imagine you'd need more than 2kg of sand for a tank that size.

I think most people use playsand or aquarium sand because of the above reasons, based on the dimensions of your tank a 2kg bag of sand should be enough to cover it, but that would be a thin layer.

playsand would come in big bag, like 10kg or more so you might as well just go to your pet shop and buy a bag of coloured aquarium sand and see how you get on

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back