Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Starting Up Questions

Jossie

Reaction score
So I'm a complete newbie when it comes to axolotls.
I used to admire them in my local petshop window (they always had them) when I was a kid and have always wanted one.
I've been doing some research on them to find out more about the care and requirements of theses gorgeous little guys, and still have a few things I'd like to double check before purchasing one of them. I could ask the store I would purchase one from, but I know that they tend to not be a very reliable source of information, unless the person you're talking to has had the animal before.
(I blame the biology student in me for doing research on critters I haven't owned before buying one. And my distrust of a single source)

Firstly tank size.
How big would be big enough for a single Axie?
I currently have a 37x23x23 cm tank that is empty, and could potentially use (thats probably how much water you could put in it, not the actual height of the tank), or I have seen a 25 L tank for sale in my local area (dimensions were unfortunately not mentioned).
Is this too small to be advisable for an Axie? - I've heard that they get quite large.

Secondly, what size filter is advisable?
I know that they dislike currents, but I've only previously had bettas, so my knowledge of filters is pretty minimal (Ok, I had goldfish as a child, but obviously I was not involved in the purchasing of a filter).

I know anything in the tank has to be bigger than the mouth of an axolotl (unless it's food or sand) because they'll eat it and die.
Is there anything other than food, plastic plants and at least one hidey hole that I'd need?
Also, does anyone know what type of water conditioner would I need?

I'm a little worried about overheating in summer, but as we're going into winter here in Sydney, that wouldn't really be an immediate issue.

smily sam

Reaction score
Firstly, welcome:D, use your biggest tank for the axie. For a filter I recomend an internal power filter. Axies don't like bright light so iver use very dim lights or LEDS or nun at all.
Once you have all your equipment you can start cycling your tank you can add a small fish like a guppie to cycle the tank.
remember axies like there water at 15-18 degrees centigrade anything above 21 and they start geting stressed.
That was a bit of very basic info, if you have any more questions feel free to ask,
Sam:happy:

Jossie

Reaction score
Thanks Sam, thankfully it never really gets too cold here.
I have yet to purchase the potentially larger tank, as all animals have to be ok'd by my mother

Does anyone know how much it costs to feed an axie?

Boo Penguin

Reaction score
For a single axi you'll need at least 2 foot by the time its fully grown.

As for feeding they aren't expensive to feed really. Frozen bloodworm cubes last me about a month or so per pack and cost about $4 a pack. I also feed mine thinly sliced beef for a treat... lean beef

The most expensive thing that comes with axi's is generally the cooling... chillers can cost big time... but are worth it. Axi's like the cold... any temps above 24 degrees C makes them really stressed... lower temps are better

memojo1979

Reaction score
Thanks Sam, thankfully it never really gets too cold here.
I have yet to purchase the potentially larger tank, as all animals have to be ok'd by my mother

Does anyone know how much it costs to feed an axie?

It's generally agreed that the best food you can feed to your axies is actually earthworms (I hear people mentioning nightcrawlers too, but I'm not familiar with them) - they're free if you can get them from a pesticide free garden ;) Or, you could set up a wormery.
Bloodworm (live or frozen) are good for smaller axies, or for an occasional change, as are some types of pellets, waxworms (very sparingly, as they are very fattening) amongst others. Don't forget though - live food is always more nutritious than frozen.
This page Axolotls - Feeding should help with food ideas. In fact, the whole site there (sister site to caudata.org here) is a goldmine of information + highly recommended :D

memojo1979

Reaction score
After re-reading your initial post, there are a couple of other things I'd like to add -

I was told by the breeder I got my axies from, that 1ft square was the minimum needed per adult axolotl, and I already had a coupler of 3ft tanks, so I got 3. However, the more space they have, the better + I would say a mnimum of 1.5ft each, but increase that if you only have 1 as a 1.5ft tank doesn't seem very much at all, as Boo Penguin says.
Also, the length is a LOT more important than the height of the tank, as most axies don't spend a lot of time swimming + prefer to wander along the floor instead (there are always exceptions though). In general, axies can grow up to 1ft in length, but again, there are exceptions, as shown in this thread - http://www.caudata.org/forum/f46-be...ee-all/75255-how-big-your-adult-axolotls.html )

1 hidey hole is a minimum, but more than 1 each is beneficial, to allow your axie to choose, or in the case of multiple axies, to help prevent arguments over the best places ;)

It's recommended to leave water to stand for 24hrs before doing any water changes + this should negate the need for water treatments, and vice versa, but many people (myself included) prefer to do both, since water quality is so important. I don't know what to recommend in Aus, but try to avoid ones that help with "this or that" in relation to fish, as quite a lot of products for fish can make axies rather darn poorly :(

Keep asking your questions - you're in the right place ;)

MereB

Reaction score
Both those tanks are going to be too small for an adult but if they are just a starter tank for a juvenile then they will be fine for a little while. Curious as to why you couldn't fill the tank you have any higher though? If it's a 37x27x30 for example and you filled it up you would get 30L's (7.9Gallons) of water into it which is more than the 25L is full but still a little shy of the 10 gallon/adult required (which in tank dimensions by the time you dropped the water level a few cm's from the top works out to a about 1.5ft x 1ft x 1ft if anyone was wondering)
Have you tried gumtree there are a couple of nice tanks on there today in Sydney including a 3ft with lids for $60. Just set your area and search for Fish tank or aquarium and see what comes up. The aquatic pets stuff is usually under the 'Pets' > 'other pets' section :rolleyes:

As far as water conditioners go whenever I've needed some over the years I've found Prime is very good and readily available. There are plenty on the market just make sure you get a full water CONDITIONER rather than a simple dechlorinator. The conditioner will neutralize the ammonia produced during the transformation of the cholorine and chloramines while the dechlorinator typically will just remove the cholrine and chloramines and leave the resulting ammonia in the water to be taken care of by your filter which is fine if your filter is already fully cycled and capable of swiftly disposing of that much ammonia all at once ;)
Check your water supply with the water corp or you can google it but usually within Australia they don't add chloramines and when they do they don't add the chloramine stabilizers, like the do in the UK for example, which means that leaving your water in the sun for an hour will remove the chlorine and chloramine completely BUT it would still leave any heavy metals that are present in the water giving the conditioner an added advantage.

I'd add a thermometer and a water test kits for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and pH to the list of must haves along with a sheet of polystyrene foam the same size as the base of your tank to go under it. This evens out any lumps and bumps between your tank and the surface it's sitting on reducing the chances of the tank cracking under the pressure oh and a fish net or 2 in a couple of different sizes should you need to catch your axie for whatever reason. I don't want to know just how many times I have read 'my axie fell on the floor when it slipped out of my hands while I was moving it to another container' and variations on that theme so a net is safest. A lid of some sort is also a good idea be it a proper glass one or a home made mesh one or whatever, try a search of the forum for 'Axie jumped out of tank' and you'll soon see why ;)

Internal filters are good but do create their own heat which in a very small volume of water such as you're looking like having can cause problems in itself. Internal filters also take up aquarium space which is fine in a larger aquarium but not so great in little ones :( You could also try the Hang on back filters. The have the advantage of not taking up space within the tank AND give you a little extra water volume to play with as they hold quite a bit themselves but like all water cooled filters they will add some warmth to the water. You would also possibly need to find a way to disperse the water and break it's fall as it returns to the tank if you don't plan to have the water level up towards the top. These can also get in the way of your aquarium lid and are almost impossible to use if your tank has a hood.
All you really need is one that will filter the volume of your tank roughly twice each hour.

Reasons for a larger tank...
Larger volume of water which makes for a better buffer against swings in Ammonia, Nitrite and Nitrate
More space for axies and decorations
More water takes longer to heat up and holds it's temperature better
One off purchase makes it cheaper in the long run. A good sized tank will house your axie it's whole life without having to upgrade as it grows.

Reasons against a larger tank...
Cost, they are more expensive to purchase unless you can find a bargain.
Can be more difficult to find a place for if you don't have a stand or some furniture that will hold it.

Keep asking questions and you'll be an expert before you know it :happy: above all have fun learning and looking forward to your new pet.

Jossie

Reaction score
So far you guys have been much more helpful than the sites I've read!
Thank you for all your comments and suggestions!

Curious as to why you couldn't fill the tank you have any higher though?

Ah, because it's only 25 cm tall in the first place XD

I've been looking for a larger tank, and have seen a 2ft one for sale on eBay, but I might look on Gumtree. As you said, it may be expensive initially but it's cheaper in the long run for axie happiness.

And I'd have to get a lid.
I don't think I could trust my kitty who likes water with it, even though she hasn't even batted an eyelid at my siamese fighting fish. Plus there is always the chance of the incident in which one of my parent's friends children emptied more than half of my fish tank onto the floor when I was a child, occurring again. I think a lid probably would have deterred that :/

mewsie

Reaction score
I've been looking for a larger tank, and have seen a 2ft one for sale on eBay, but I might look on Gumtree. As you said, it may be expensive initially but it's cheaper in the long run for axie happiness.

And I'd have to get a lid.
I don't think I could trust my kitty who likes water with it, even though she hasn't even batted an eyelid at my siamese fighting fish. Plus there is always the chance of the incident in which one of my parent's friends children emptied more than half of my fish tank onto the floor when I was a child, occurring again. I think a lid probably would have deterred that :/

Definitely worth the outlay now! Sounds like you get some great bargains on gumtree over there, everyones greedy with their second hand stuff here.

A lid is a must. Axies and big and attractive, I can see how your kitty would be tempted. There've been a few folks on here who have lost axies to curious kitties :(

Jossie

Reaction score
A lid is a must. Axies and big and attractive, I can see how your kitty would be tempted. There've been a few folks on here who have lost axies to curious kitties

I'm sure she'd be fine with it but I'd rather not tempt fate.
She's never caught anything bigger than a butterfly.

Jossie

Reaction score
Ok, so I have some new questions now.

I know this is a matter of personal opinion, but I'm going to ask anyway.
Sand or Pebbles?
I'm aware that anything smaller than an axie mouth is an open challenge of 'eat me' to an axie.
Which leads into my next question.

Does anyone know how long it takes an axie to pass any gravel it may have eaten?
I think the only shop I've seen some in (that said I haven't really looked around yet) uses gravel.

Next question.
How often and how do you guys clean your tank?
Do you use one of those fish tank stuff sucker uppers or do you use another method.
Is sand or pebbles easier to keep clean?

And another?!
How old/long are axies usually when you can tell their sex?
I'm only really thinking of getting one, but if I get a large tank I might get two.
I'd rather avoid any little axiedents.

But, yours is lovely too (+ very quickly added, well done )
XD it isn't really, but thank-you anyway.

Last edited:

iChris

Reaction score
sounds to me like you're well and truly on your way to keeping some very happy axies.
as for you're questions,

1. I have tried both, sand is the go, just normal playsand works well, the stuff you get for kid's sandpits/sandboxes. the waste sits on top and is easy to syphon off. you must wash it well though.

2. fridging (putting them in the fridge) your axie slows its metabolism, and this causes them to empty their stomachs and digestive tract of its contents (including gravel that may have been swallowed) fast so they don't have rotting food in them. this usually works (from my experience) within a day or so. as for the only seller you have found that sells them and houses them on gravel, avoid buying from them, they obviously don't take care of their animals.

3. Daily. I siphon off any waste and uneaten food as soon as it's seen. this keeps the water clean. I do 20% water changes weekly. sand is easier to clean, as everything sits on top, I just use a piece of tube and siphon the gunk off, don't hold the tube too close to the sand, as you'll suck that up too, just enough to lift the waste off the top.

4. you can sex them usually from about a year old. the males have a bump or protrusion from behind their back legs, and females look more plump and rounded when viewed from above, and don't have the bump behind the legs. I keep a single female in a 2ft 95L (or about 25 gallons for our backwards imperial friends) for that reason, I don't want babies. I am considering a tankmate, but only if I can guarantee that it's a female.

as always, posts of your current setup are encouraged!

Jossie

Reaction score
As cute as baby axies are, I really don't know what I'd do with them.
They aren't very common in my area, so finding one may involve hunting them down.
The only one's I've seen lately look quite mature already.
Although I do remember seeing some being sold by a pet store stand at a not so local, but still close market, a year ago. I wonder if I can remember their branding.
I might phone the various 'pretty much fish, petfood and nothing else' stores in my area.

I can't fridge them.
Not only would it stress me out, I'd have to use the itty bitty bar fridge we have in our garage.
Firstly because it would confuse my family and stress them out too (we'd all be opening it every five minutes to check it was ok) and secondly some mornings the glass water jug is frozen solid, along with the 2L container of milk and eggs. We keep turning it down but nothing seems to fix it.

Ah.
I'm running into difficulties.
I have been told that I am allowed to get an axie (my mother thinks they're cute- her concerns were more aimed at care rather than her not liking them), but I've been told to hold off on getting a larger tank.
I've seen a 36L one for sale, with added axie equipment (Although it's almost an hour by car from my house to pick up. If it was plastic I could catch a bus and 2 trains and maybe another bus to get it, but It looks glass) and a 95L one (Which is much closer) on eBay.

Although I know now that I'm definitely going to get one.
It may take a while but I will!

Last edited:

iChris

Reaction score
if you don't mind my asking, what state/city are you located in? there may be other members of the forum that are local to your area that can point you in the right direction, as other members of this forum only buy top-notch animals.

as for tanks, you will need to upgrade eventually to a bigger one. for ease of keeping, you would want about 60L as a minimum.

Jossie

Reaction score
I'm in Sydney.
I'm not quite ready to get one yet, as I'd rather have everything before I buy one of these guys.
And I'm definitely not getting one until I have a proper tank.

I heard the staff at the petstore near my university plotting at ways to suggest to the store to get axies or salamanders in.
So if they do I might get some from there (although I'd drive out there. Half an hour drive to there is much better for the little guy than being on a train and bus for an hour and a half)
But the good news is they stock some form of axie pellet food and they also have brine shrimp and bloodworms.
I'd much rather drive there than get them from one of my LPS, as they seem to actually care about the requirements animals they have.

iChris

Reaction score
they will only be able to get axies, all other salamanders are illegal in australia.

I'm glad that you're holding off getting a axie until you have everything in order. it's very hard not to rush into getting one, they are truly fascinating, and my axie brings me so much joy.

your only real major issue is obtaining a suitable sized tank. use the time before you get your first axie to do some research and reading up about axies and their requirements, and remember to ask lots of questions here!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!