Axies just laid eggs

Cecilia

Reaction score
Country
Canada
So I just bought a male for my female on sunday and I come home today to see them laying eggs and fertilizing them...i had planned on breeding them but not this soon I wanted to be able yto do more research first and I guess the conditions must have been pretty good because here we are with a plant full off probably 100 eggs and I think shes still working on it.......how do i do this???Can I remove the eggs to raise them instead of the parents as they werent in a breeding tank they were in thier forever home???
thanks
Cecilia
PS i can post video too if anyones interested

congrats. I have never raised baby so im only going on what i have read on this forum. If i get any wrong please correct me someone as I would hate to give bad advice.
I would remove the plant with the eggs on into a container or tankwith fresh treated water by themselves, if you leave the eggs in with mum and dad they will eat them.
I would love to see pictures of them.....I love babies soooo much. They are sooo cute.
good luck

Thank you!! Also do I need to seperate mom and dad from one another or is it ok to leave them together???

Separate the eggs if you intend to raise them. The parents will eat both eggs and larva. I keep the eggs in the water they came out of and I put them into a small container (less than 2 liters). Keep them cool. The cooler they are, the more slowly they develop. Between 15 and 19 C is good. Allow them to hatch and basically leave them alone until they do. Once they have hatched give them about 24 to 48 hours then, offer them food. Newly hatched brine shrimp is the best choice. I set up my hatchery when they begin to hatch and the shrimps are ready (24-48 hours depending on temperature - higher the better 27 C or more) when the axies are. Keep them swollen with brine shrimp and they will grow rapidly - twice a day feeding. I change some or all of the water BEFORE I feed them and allow the brine shrimp to stay in the water until then.

I keep my larva in pairs in small containers (about 1/2 liter) for the first couple of months then graduate them to larger and larger containers as they grow. Kept together in larger containers they will bite each others' feet off and many will starve because they don't seem to get enough to eat.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back