Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Illness/Sickness: Filmy Substance on My Axie

AlissaMae

Reaction score
Overnight, my axolotl has developed a white filmy substance over it's entire body and has been floating a lot. Here are some facts, please help me out:

I have sand in the bottom of my tank, so it's not impaction

I do use tap water. It is safe for people to drink, which I read somewhere means that it is safe for axolotls. Guess I'm not too sure anymore.
I can do a reading tonight.. I forgot what nitrate stuff usually is. Sorry about that.

I did get one of those sucker fish things that clean the cages. I read somewhere that they aren't harmful for axolotls so I figured it would be okay. It was dead in the tank last evening, and I got it out immediately. My axie still looked okay. It had an appetite and everything.

So..I'm not too sure where to go from here. My little guy looked pretty bad so I moved him to the fridge this morning. I read the Axolotl Sanctuary, so I'm pretty sure I did that correctly, but how warm should the fridge be in Fahrenheit? I've only found Celsius temperatures on the computer.. and I think it said 5-8 C. Is that like 40-46 F?

Also, should I completely clean out the main tank?
And if my tap water isn't safe... should I started using like distilled water from the store or something? I have no idea what to do..

Any tips would be awesome. Thank you!

smily sam

Reaction score
I would think it would have somthing to do with the death of your sucker fish. About the the tap water, just because we can drink it dosn't meen its safe for axies, because there is clorine in it, you really should iver add decloranater or use bottled water.
Need a bit more info, can you post pics of your axie,
Sam

Shizeric

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
Where did you read all of this information? Tap water isn't safe, neither are tank companions like plecos or other bottom feeding fish.

When using tap water you either need to let the water sit out for at least 24 hrs to allow chlorine to evaporate out, or use water conditioner to remove the chlorine.

What size is your tank and what type of filtration do you use? How often do you do water changes and what do you feed it?

AlissaMae

Reaction score
I'm not really sure where I read that information, sorry.

But!

My tank is a 20 gallon. I have the triangular sponge filter for it. I do about 20 percent water changes every week in a half or so.

I've been feeding the little guy blood worms. Seems to be liking them. Won't eat pellets..

Would bottled water be a safe change from the tap water? I do have some de-chlorinator, but it's for fish and I'm not sure how much to use...

smily sam

Reaction score
I'm not really sure where I read that information, sorry.

But!

My tank is a 20 gallon. I have the triangular sponge filter for it. I do about 20 percent water changes every week in a half or so.

I've been feeding the little guy blood worms. Seems to be liking them. Won't eat pellets..

Would bottled water be a safe change from the tap water? I do have some de-chlorinator, but it's for fish and I'm not sure how much to use...
The de-chlorinater which you have should be fine, add the same amount for fish, it should say on the back.
Please can you post pics of your axie.
Sam

AlissaMae

Reaction score
Alright, thanks for the help you guys.

Should I keep him in the fridge until he looks better?

And what about floating... is that just a part of him being sick?

And sam, I'll try to get some pictures up. It'll have to be tomorrow.
And I usually just use my phone which sucks at pictures.
I'll try to get a good camera and upload some.

AlissaMae

Reaction score
Tank temperature is usually from 60-64.

Also, the pictures I got didn't really show anything.. So i'm not going to upload them until I can get a better one.

It's a pretty small axie. Only like 1 to 1 1/2 inches long. Should I just be giving it one salt bath a day? Or how does that work..?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1