Hello. Anybody else here from Kansas?

cricket

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Cricket
My name is John. I go by Cricket.
I grew up hunting and keeping Tiger salamanders in N.E. Wyoming. I even caught a 13 inch monster once. I still can't believe it got so big that far north. Most of the adult size in that area was 7-9 inches I knew all the best spots and breeding ponds up there. I could hunt all day and bring back buckets full if I chose .
I now live in Kansas. Over the last 15 years I have only found two mole salamanders. They are not normaly found in this area so I left them alone. I have met a bunch of people that remember seeing salamanders around here years ago and several people that claimed to know where to find them now. Every time I've gone hunting I've come home with an empty bucket.
I have two teenagers that have never seen a wild salamander and my oldest has wanted to work with them for a few years. Pet shops in this area are asking crazy high prices for Saly's $40-$50 and I rarely find Tigers. I have found a few in a nearby bait shop but they were all injured by nets or plain unhealthy looking.
If anybody from the Wichita/Newton area has any avalible for sale, or willing to share a few tips on where to look, PLEASE!!! contact me.

Thank you

Welcome to the site John!

I have to admit that I have only seen a salamander in the wild once. They are not too common around Nova Scotia anymore, which is unfortunate. Hopefully you have some luck.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back