Question: An inquiry into Chinese FBN setup logistics

Kribby

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Display Name
Kim
I will be the first to admit my short comings when it comes to the logistics of newt husbandry. I have done research, I have weighed options, and I have tried to come up with things that make logical sense to me. However, this does not mean that I have always made the most correct decisions or choices.

That said, I am always open to learning and trying to improve my understanding. I am a researcher by trade and I try to apply those methods to my hobbies and while newts were not my original interest, I am becoming quite involved with them. So I was hoping to get some constructive advice on my current setup and potentially make some improvements.

As a disclaimer I will say that I am a student, so please keep in mind that my newt budget is not that high. I have mostly been adapting my fish keeping equipment to serve the newts. It is not how I would have ideally approached the situation, but I was sort of taken in by there cuteness and the alternative was to but them down (I took home 7 emaciated newts from a shipment at work).

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
So, I initially setup all 7 of them in a 10 gallon tank. A very high bioload for the system, but it was supposed to be temporary and I do have experience keeping high load tanks stable. Their current enclosure is a 25 gallon tall.

The setup consists of:

lava rocks - I was initially concerned about sharp edges, but I haven't experienced any problems in year I have had them and the high surface area provides ample sights for nitrifying bacteria to take hold. I have them piled around and hinding a small low power filter to keep the water circulating around them.

small stingray class filter - The direct flow in blocked by rocks so that there are no strong currents in the tank and the small size limits the amount of heat transfered to the water.

mopani driftwood - keeps the pH low and steady while providing hiding places for the shrimp and resting spots for the newts

live plants - removes excess nitrates from the water and provides cover for the newts to rest and lay their eggs

small grain gravel - will be replaced with a smaller grain sand.

Stocking:
Cherry and Amano shrimp - I was worried about introducing an algae eating snail since my research pegged snails as an intermediate for parasites, however shrimp did not seem to be an issue. So I introduced 3 amano for algae control and 7 cherry shrimp to provide a live food source. The Newts enjoy eating shrimplets. Both varieties enjoy lower temperatures similar to the upper range for newts

Celestial pearl danios - I was concerned about the addition of fish to the system. However, CPDs are a very mellow and inactive mid to top level fish. Their ideal temperature range is quite low, and they enjoy the same water conditions as newts. I introduced 4 to the tank 8 months ago and they do not even bother with the blood worms that I feed the newts.

The Skellies - 7 newts. After a year these guys seem to be enjoying themselves. They rarely leave the water except for brief moments, I have never seen them turn away food, and they have been happily laying eggs for the last month. They haven't even bothered with the tadpoles that I have seen.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
So, now that you know my story. Comments, concerns, advice?

It all sounds good to me, except that I would skip the submersible filter. I'm just not a fan of these. I'd probably use an airstone instead. The other issue is temperature. While the animals do all have an overlap in their temperature ranges, you won't be able to give the newts much a winter cooling period without jeopardizing the other inhabitants. But I'll admit that the newts are breeding, so they don't seem to be suffering from missing the cold period.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back