Question: Fluval U2 or Eheim Aquaball?

laalflaach

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just setting up my 3ft tank today, and decided to remove the Jewel filter housing glued in the corner of the tank. I cant decide which filter to replace it with. Fluval U2 or Eheim Aquaball? Which would you choose? :confused:

And after spending the afternoon/evening rinsing play sand, from B & Q, has anyone else come across the phenomenal amount of charcoal pieces in it? Every time I stir it even more settles on the surface, I had no idea that our children were playing with such dirty sand. Ew!!

Last edited:
A little offtopic... How did you manage to remove the filter housing thing of the Jewel tank? It was a pain in the crack for me to get that thing loose. (It worked, but not the way it should work...)

I used a paring knife and shoved it down the back to work it free, with my husband shaking his head and leaving the room. It was either the knife or a spatula!! I always use the closest cutlery to hand! ;)

But it really does look so much better with that big black box out of the picture!

i'd go the fluval. my bf has one in his turtle tank and its practically silent. jealous..

Fluval! I just replaced my Jewell in tank filter with a Fluval 205 canister filter, so much better and with variable pumping speed too.

At the minute I am using a cheapy sponge filter with a sprinkle bar and adjustable flow for £15.00 which will do for now, it just seems that the fluval u2 flow is too strong, have watched tutorials on the fluval and it doesnt seem to be adjustable flow. Ive still got time as the larvae are still so tiny, thanks for the imput though, and calumR hello and welcome to the forums...

Last edited:
I have a fluval 205 and a 305, and they both do an amazing job. I recommend fluvals to everybody.

A little offtopic on the filter but about the play sand,

I just setup one of my spare tanks for a plant tank, I bought asda play sand, It has hardly any small black sand particles, its practically white, and really easy to clean :)

£2.80 for about 10kg, In my opinion, might be an idea to swap it over for the sake of £3.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back