Illness/Sickness: Lip Smacking Noise?? (tiger sal won't eat)

misky99

Reaction score
Country
United States
Here is the problem, I have a tiger salamander who needed to be taken to the vet for an infection. The leg has been cured and he is very active and shows no sign of weakness. However, he has not been eating at all... we have had to get food from the vet and force feed him. Every time we try to give him a cricket or anything he makes this lip smacking noise... and does not eat? The set up is fine, the humidity is fine. I am unsure of what the noise is and what to do to get him to eat? Hopefully someone has had this issue before and can give me some insight. Thank you

Re: Lip Smacking Noise??

I know exactly what you mean about the smacking noise - sometimes they make this when the food is right next to their mouth but they are refusing to eat it. What treatment was used for the leg? I am wondering if the treatment affected his appetite. I don't have any wonderful ideas, just keep trying. Have you addressed any possible habitat issues that might have led to the infection? People sometimes keep tiger sals more-wet than they need to be.

Might you elaborate on 'the humidity is fine'?

What happened to cause the infection?

I know in the past you had problems with a tiger developing black spots. I've seen this in relation to tigers being kept in too moist of an environment. Too moist can also lead to infections. Is your tank well ventilated? And is this the same tiger you were having problems with a while ago that didn't want to eat?

Thank you for the responses, it is very frustrating. The bacterial infection was due to the substrate I was using before. It was a forest floor mixture, I think this infection was causing the loss of appetite for sure, however, it has been a couple weeks since I treated the infection the Vet gave us Baytril and I was told to give 3 units once a day. The Tank is kept around 60% humidity, I keep a wet side and a dryer side of the tank so they can choose also a water bowl if they need a soak. . This tiger is not the one which had the black spots, this is the one that is normally very active and also normally had a great appetite. I am running out of options.. He also has never been interested in wax worms, meal worms... he is very picky.

If you are using a fogger/mister to maintain humidity - I wouldn't. Ambient humidity is sufficient. Are you using a mesh screen for a top to allow for ventilation?

I just use a hand spray once a day I also have a mesh top yes.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back