Culture within Enclosure (Habitat)

esnailme

Reaction score
Country
United States
I am planning ahead with the upcoming potential morph's.

I added a mix of potting soil and coconut fibers to my enclosures. I have also put my whiteworm/springtail culture into the substrate mix. I set these tanks up about 10 days ago. I will continue to add food for the cultures.

I figure I have at least 4-6 weeks before the larvae morph.

Will this give me a source of food that will be at its peek by the time I introduce my morphs?

I tried to search but could not find anything.

Suggestions, ideas and experience welcomed.

Last edited:
I would recommend adding some dry leaves to the setup, as this should foster the growth of springtails. Also, you can sprinkle a TINY amount of fish food flakes in one corner of the setup (then sprinkle with water), and the whiteworms will tend to congregate there. However, until the setup is "cycled" (good bacteria established), the fish flakes will tend to mold, so be careful with this. It might also help to put a small piece of glass or plastic over this area, as whiteworms and springtails like to congregate under a surface.

I posted a thread showing in-tank culture of small woodlice:
http://www.caudata.org/forum/f1173-...pical-white-woodlice-grown-tank-refugium.html

My cuture within the enclosure is humming!!!!

I have quite a few worms.

I have a question.

I bought 2 bags of leaves from an online vendor.

Should I crush the leaves prior to adding them to the enclosure?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back