Potassium manganate - any experiences?

callina

Reaction score
Country
Germany
Display Name
Tina
Hi,

some time ago I read (don´t know where), that you can treat an axie with potassium manganate. We use it for injuries against bacterial infections.
If it is safe for axies, this could be a good possibility for treating axies when a wound starts an infection.
Does anyone have any experiences with potassium manganate and axies?

Tina

No experience using this on axies but this is what I did find.

At first, it sounded like a derivative of salt but when I researched further, I found this:

"K2MnO4 Water-soluble dark-green crystals, decomposing at 190°C; used as an analytical reagent, bleach, oxidizing agent, disinfectant, mordant for dyeing wool and in photography, printing, and water purification."

Based on my limited experience with photo developing, all chemicals involved with this process are extremely harsh. It is also said to harshly dye anything it comes into contact with. :eek:

Weve used potassium manganate at sixth form and when the smallest amount is put into water it begins to turn all the water a deep purple/pink ..even though its a REALLY pretty colour i doubt any axies would like to be dyed purple haha! Better to be safe than sorry i guess :)

oh, pardon me, but I got a wrong translation of the substance. :mad:

It is potassium permanganate (KMnO4) I wanted to ask for.
Potassium permanganate - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

There should be used only a few crystals to give the water a slightly rosy color.

Now I just found where I´ve read about it. It is on a German website and the author has treated an axie with that stuff successfully ......and it is approved in a book about newts and salamanders.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back