Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Illness/Sickness: Why is she floating?

Boo Penguin

Reaction score
Hi everyone

My axi has been floating around the top of the tank the last few days; just letting the slight current from the filer push her slowly around. She can swim down to the ground and stay there if she wants... but she hasn't been doing that very much. She was last the day before fed yesterday and last pooped that day.

Is something wrong?!?!?!?

The water parameters are good

Temp 14 degrees C
pH 7.2
Ammonia 0 (checked about 5 mins ago)
Nirtate - not sure need to buy new test. But did water change 2 days ago
Nitrite - not sure but was 0 at last test. Tank is cycled so should still be 0

I haven't added anything new to the environment recently, though I was planning to add some driftwood once I boil it for a while... maybe I'll put that off for the moment.

Skilly

Reaction score
Sometimes they just like to float around like zeppelins. :D My Luna does this a lot when he gets the right mood. If everything is just fine water wise and she isn't showing signs of distress then I wouldn't worry about it.

Mandy6

Reaction score
My Alex does this sometimes. He just decides he wants to float for a few days and only go to the bottom if I get paranoid and tap him xD I think it's just a little quirk they have. If he is still wanting to eat and can get to the bottom if he wants to I wouldn't worry, especially since all the levels in the water are fine:)

Boo Penguin

Reaction score
Thanks guys... I didn't think it was anything to be worried over

iChris

Reaction score
its not a bad thing to get worried. it just means you care so much for your animal.

keep in mind that younger axies tend to float sometimes, but if your axie is floating backside up, and/or has trouble staying on the bottom or can't reach it, this can be a good indicator of impaction.

my axie seems to get somewhat more "buoyant" in his rear in the day or so before she passes waste.

Boo Penguin

Reaction score
Yes it does seem to be her back end that goes up first. Today she is quite happily chilling on the floor of the tank.

Just boiling up the driftwood for her tank :D

iChris

Reaction score
she could be getting ready to pass some waste. I would wait and watch for now, when axies stop eating and struggle to get to the bottom, you usually have issues then.

lea

Reaction score
I have noticed that cookie floats(back end up and then the whole body) when she is due to be fed.

Mia

Reaction score
I am a new Axie owner and have noticed one of them likes to float on top. Everytime we've caught it doing that the kids freak out thinking its d e a d! After reading your posts, I'm releaved to know. Thanks!

em86

Reaction score
My two both do this – they are floaters! Sometimes they will gradually float up to the surface on their own, and other times they will swim up, take a gulp of air and slowly float back up to the top! I too thought they were dead when I first saw this but I guess it’s a nice way to relax! Lol!! Water levels are all fine so nothing wrong here I think some axies just enjoy floating around :wacko:

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1