Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

My new tank # 2.. Open to surgestion

Aztecer

Reaction score
I have just reorganized my tank thanks to the suggestions given to me through this Forum.. I would like to know if there's any more advice so I can make improvements

Last edited:

Aztecer

Reaction score
These are the photo's

Attachments

• IMG_3933.jpg
    IMG_3933.jpg
    264.5 KB · Views: 158
  • IMG_0834.jpg
    IMG_0834.jpg
    100.6 KB · Views: 150

freya

Reaction score
Maybe a higher hide out cause it seems to me from the picture that your axy cant get in it?

mewsie

Reaction score
The hide looks pretty good I reckon, as long as he can get in without struggling. My lot like tight spaces :)

The tank is looking lovely. I don't think you *need* to add anything else, but you could add some taller plants or perhaps some slate or a piece of wood on a slope or something, he might like to climb about, and hang out in high places! I think you've got the basics wonderfully, everything you add now is more adventure!

The filter looks like it's creating quite a down flow, or is that just the pic? It might stress him if it's too fierce? Only other tip would be, you probably could take some of that sand out, deep sand needs swirling round quite a bit to stop it turning anaerobic and getting toxic. Up to you though, a good swirl around a couple of times a week, or every time you go in to de-poop will do the trick to keep it fresh :)

Last edited:

Star

Reaction score
The sand looks a tad deep though, if it's over 1 inch in depth make sure you give it a good mix about regularly to stop poisonous gases building up :)
If your axie does struggle to get in and out of the hide you could always dig some sand out from under so s/he has a little tunnel instead :D

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1