Question: Food?

Durken316

Reaction score
Country
United States
I was wondering if (since my sala Is nocturnal) I could keep meal worms in threre so he could find them.

Earthworms are a much more appropriate food choice than mealworms.

True. Mealworms are a poor choice...they are not easy to digest, you need to disable their heads before feeding (they can bite) and they are very incomplete from a nutrition point. You are better off not using them at all, there are plenty of much more suitable invertebrates.
If the animal is in a forest-type tank with leaf-litter and stuff, having a few earthworms around will be benefitial, as well as woodlice, springtails and even small slugs.

sorry im new to this so earthworms and just leave them in the tank over night?

Try dangling them in front of the salamander's face.

ahh thats prolly why he wouldnt eat the mealworms, so yuo think that if i dangle is infront of his face he will snap at it?

He might. If not, try again later when it's dark without turning on the lights. Be patient.

Ok I went outside and went to find some earth worms I found a couple put Russell into a smaller tank and I dangled a worm in front of him and he didn't do anything why? :(

I'm new to this, but my little guy won't eat unless it's fairly dark and I've left him alone. I tried tempting him with bite-size worm bits, but he's just not comfortable enough with me to eat with me watching, the picky little thing. :rolleyes: It might be that you salamander is the same way right now.
You could maybe try leaving the worms in the terrarium overnight, or even putting him and the worms in a separate container in a dark place for a while (that usually does the trick with mine).
Anyway, I've learned that patience is key! And not panicking.

Usually with new salamanders, it's best to disturb them as little as possible. Try not picking him up before feeding him.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back