Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Is this limb rot?

zyoung

Reaction score
I've looked around a bit and this doesn't seem to match any of the pictures I saw. I got two of these guys on Thursday. They looked fine at the store, but when I got them home one looked like he was missing a hand. I was wondering too if the other one was possibly attacking this one, but they seem to stay apart most of the time and they aren't eating much. Any ideas?

sickolivia.jpg

(By the way, new to this forum. The information is great, though a little overwhelming. Thanks for making this community so rich.)

Zach

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
It could be limb rot, but it looks more like the other has attacked this one. Keep it cool and clean, and it should heal itself.

This species is pretty notorious for doing poorly when purchased from a pet shop. They're shipped over en masse from China in terrible conditions, and then kept in a pet shop, again usually in terrible conditions.

So if it doesn't start to heal, you'll probably have to start medication. Watch for redness, progression of the flesh falling off, and fungus, which appears like white cotton.

zyoung

Reaction score
Thanks for the info. I'm keeping the tank as cool as I can right now (looking into getting a chiller to help out.) I'll keep an eye out and see how it works out. Hopefully, I won't need to separate them.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1