Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: Feeding young axies

Sweeted

Reaction score
Hey, have quite a few axies about 1.5inches, feeding them brine shrimp at the minute. Just wondering when to change food and what to change it to (pellets,worms,etc) thanks

celticcrow77

Reaction score
Well, earthworms are the best staple food for their whole lives, so if you can get a hold of some really small ones, that would be best. I have a baby about 2 inches long that I've been feeding chopped up earthworm that I got from my (non-chemical covered) yard. The worms I've been finding are maybe as long as he is, but I chop them up into small bite-sized pieces maybe 1 mm or so long, just to make sure he swallows them alright. I also have very small sinking salamander pellets that I feed on occasion, just to give him some variety. When I can get my hands on them, I also feed some live bloodworm for variety too. I know a lot of people use the frozen bloodworm as a staple for juveniles, so that would be good too. I've basically switched him over from the brine shrimp to the worms since he looked big enough to handle it, and that's worked for me. Hopefully this helps!

callina

Reaction score
Blackworms are fine for them too. :D

If you feed them frozen bloodworms, you should rinse them after defrosting and 1 hour after fedding you should such them out with a siphon, because the dead bloodworms can foul the water very quickly.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!