Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Eggs...now what?

superfin

Reaction score
Hi everyone, my Alpine newts have just layed eggs and I'd like to know a couple of things

1. Will an adult still eat the eggs even if it is well fed?

2. Do the newts lay their eggs all at one time or spread out over a couple of days? because mine have layed about 6

3. How long does it take for eggs to hatch?

4. Do 100% water changes harm the eggs?

5.Do adults eat larvae?

Thanks

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Congrats!
Adults eating eggs is something that varies greatly. Some are big egg eaters, and others show no interest.
The female will lay eggs during a few days, then most likely stop for another few days to recharge and go back to laying. They usually follow this pattern of on an off laying. This may extend for a rather long time, some females breeding for a few months.

Hatching time varies according to temperature, but you could expect something like 20-22 days.

Some people have great results with 100% water changes, but others fail misserably (i include myself in this last category). I think most people end up prefering the method of raising larvae on stablished tanks with little or no water changes.

I usually find in other species that the larvae are pretty well adapted to avoiding being eaten, but in the case of my alpestris, not a single larvae seems to have survived in the parent´s tank. Then again they are demon monster from hell.

superfin

Reaction score
Thanks alot for the reply:D Last time I attempted to raise larvae from my Cynops orientalis (excuse the spelling) I found that 100% water changes worked pretty well for me, although that was a single occasion that definately doesn't guarantee further success, I wouldn't feel comfortable doing it any other way. Besides, my Alpines are vicious little buggers because I have seen them actively hunt down and eat about 4 eggs,so now I am taking any plant I see that has a lot of eggs on, out of the main tank and into a smaller container, I was only asking whether the constant moving water of so many consecutive water changes would damage the eggs.

p.s: sorry for taking so long to respond, I was camping

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1