Another impaction topic, sorry

Morrison

Reaction score
Country
Netherlands
I'm sorry that I make another impaction topic, but this is the first time I'm dealing with this.
I got an axie from someone who didn't care much about her... And you can see it. Short gills, not the big tail fin as the other axies but... also pretty thin.

You can see her hipbones sticking out a bit, also the shoulders when you take a good look. She walks around with her tail slightly raised... I also haven't seen her poop... ever... (I have her for about 3 weeks now?) Maybe I missed a poop but I swear I haven't seen a thing... I feed her worms and she eats them, also pellets. I don't see her spitting them back out.

But she's still thin, and I wondered... "Where will it go when she eats it all and she doesn't poop?"

I think she's impacted. She was in the fridge for days after a few worms... Nothing... Still nothing.
She's in a bare little tank now so that I can see every piece of dirt and goo that comes out... and I feed her some worms, but still the same. Tail slightly raised, sometimes gulping for air and sometimes keeping the air inside so that she floats for a few minutes (are they doing this to relieve the... thingy... "pain"?) and I also notice that in front of the hipbones there is now occuring a little bump. It's soft, like her 'insides are full of poo' that can't get out...
What can I do? This is the first time I have to deal with this?
Back in the fridge? Gentle massage? (If yes, how? My axies don't want to be touched I guess?)

Oh, and another axie also bit her front leg and she's not using it very much. (Painful when I touch it) but I guess that's not the reason that she won't poop.... right?
She also shedded a lot of skin (especially the feet and tail) when in the fridge. Is that normal? It was normal dechlorinated water and the fridge temp wasn't below 5 degrees Celsius.

No-one who can help me out? She's not doing very well I guess. She only pooped a "little"... :( Don't know what to do. This is the first time I'm dealing with this and the fridge didn't work or something...

I wouldn't worry about not seeing a poo, but the shedding sounds abnormal, and this animal has a whole bunch of worrisome symptoms. I can't really think of anything else you can do except to keep her cool, feed her worms, and hope for the best.

Thanks for the reply.
Hmm, she poops just little bits once in a while. I gave her some worms but it looks like she's loosing interest. There's still a worm wiggling in the tank for almost a day (there were two small ones, but she only ate one...). Okay, maybe that's not a disaster for now, but the thing that worries me is that she's underweight and I want her to put on some weight, but I guess she's just fighting different things.

Good news is that the frills on her gills are starting to grow :)

Anyway. Here are some pics of her below.

And she's starting to use the front leg again, a little... but it looks like it's still painful.

*Sigh*
It just breaks my heart :(

Attachments

• SNV12707.JPG
    SNV12707.JPG
    170.4 KB · Views: 236
  • SNV12712.JPG
    SNV12712.JPG
    178.9 KB · Views: 209
  • SNV12724.JPG
    SNV12724.JPG
    174 KB · Views: 207
  • SNV12710.JPG
    SNV12710.JPG
    164.7 KB · Views: 218
I think the lack of appetite is not due to impaction, but is a result of overall illness. That Axolotl looks very sick...what happened to her?

I think the lack of appetite is not due to impaction, but is a result of overall illness. That Axolotl looks very sick...what happened to her?

I guess the previous owner didn't care about her. He gave me this axie for free because "he had way too much". This one also looked the worst but I thought that she could easily be fed up with some juicy worms because she's skinny. There was probably more going on. Things I don't know. :(

I also doubt that it's an impaction. Right now I don't think she is impacted too. She just pooped a little a few minutes ago, so it's not totally blocked. I think it's just an unhappy axie that needs a hellota love and care.

Do you guys think there are other things I need to check out? Maybe looking for things under a microscope or something?

Edit: Oh, and there was something the previous owner said about her. She's about 16 cm long... but he said that she also laid some eggs. But... she doesn't look old enough, not even sexually mature or is it me? Or did she just "shrink" (and maybe because she laid eggs if that's true)

Nothing I can do? (like always?)

Keep her in proper conditions (clean, cool water), and offer her appropriate foods. All you can really do for now.

I don't think she'll put much weight on until she sorts her leg out. All those worms are helping heal her at the moment. As long as she's still eating I'd say wait and see and try not to worry too much. Obviously keep her cool and clean but you're already doing that :p She's lucky to have you!

The poor thing...
I hope she will be oke :( breaks my heart to see this...
I also think that youre doing everything that you can do for her and it now takes time to heal to get trough this...
Good luck and im crossing fingers!

Thanks. I'll definitely do that :)
Last day she didn't want to eat a thing... until I gave her some bloodworms :)

She also starts to use her leg more every day. It's still a bit painful, but she moves it a lot more like her other front leg instead of keeping it tight against her body.
Her toes are still clamped together, but I'm glad she uses the leg more.

Today she also ate a small worm. I don't want to overfeed her right now, because I don't know if it would harm her when she is this thin. (She now has a little "belly" because of the worm, haha)

The shedding also looks way less. Just a bit around the toes of her sore foot but not around the tail and on top of her head (and behind the gills) anymore. So I guess that's a good sign. She was already 'shedding' while I got her, so I guess it had to do with the previous owner who kept her in "water that wasn't too perfect for axies" (like bad water parameters etc. or too warm. I don't know).

She's in a tank on my desk, so I can keep a close eye on her... :)
Let's hope she gets better soon :D

Okay, I just want to say that she's in a "bigger" tank now, with more hides and things to make her happy. She's alone, just to make sure...

She's doing better. Still thin but more interested in food. Worms are "okay", but she loves bloodworms and sometimes pellets as a snack. Luckily she kept the last two worms inside and she uses her leg again, for 100%. Okay, it does look a little different (still the toes clumped together, but one (the pinky) sticking out) but it's working fine.

It looks like the gills are getting a little bigger and the frills are growing back slowly.

She also reacts when I put my hand above her. She looks up, like all my axies do. Something she didn't do when feeling bad...

She's not completely recovered I guess. Still thin, swimming up for air more often than normal axies and the poop still looks a little loose and not like a 'package'. But it looks more than it was before... (Maybe because she finally eats more).

I also placed her in the tank to make her feel better instead of a bare bottom tank that's pretty small and boring...

Yep, she's more alert and I just wanted to tell you :)

And ofcourse... Thanks for your help guys :)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back