Still having a swimming frenzy

laursmustdie

Reaction score
Country
Scotland
Display Name
Laurs
I really need some help..I posted a few weeks ago about Kasper having a swimming frenzy and after doing 40% water changes everyday for a week or so he calmed down & ammonia levels were good..it didn't last :(

He is in about 6 mnths old, in 45lts treated water which we are back to changing 40% everyday, there's no filter. After the last episode we took all plants & rocks out the tank and rinsed them.

I'm at a complete loss at what to do..obviously he is distressed and it's distressing to watch.

Any help is much appreciated :)

I would say it's a water quality issue. How are you dechlorinating the water for your 40% water changes?

I use King British - Safe guard..1ml per 9ltrs..then it is left to sit next to tank for 24hrs with caps off.

Thanks very much for replying :)

Without an established cycle, you're going to have to do frequent water changes...any particular reason you aren't using a filter?

I've being doing water changes everyday..is this ok?

No reason why he doesn't have a filter..I've had advice on here that it's ok either way..what's your advice?

My advice would be to setup the tank with a filter so you can establish a nitrate cycle. Would make for much less frequent water changes and less stress for you.

Daily water changes are fine, just a bit of a hassle in my opinion.

It only takes bout 20 mins to do the change so I really don't mind but it's obviously not working for him so will look into getting a filter.

Now some questions (sorry!), I only have 1 tank so do I take kasper out to let the filter age? What make/type of filter do u recommend?
I've had some bad advice from 2 of my local pet shops so I'm reluctant to ask them.

Again I really appreciate you replying.

Could also be the temperature if the tank is situated somewhere warm and the water quality is ok. Do you have any substrate (gravel, sand, clay, etc)? I guess posting the actual water readings for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate may help some of the more experienced members help you more :)
Filter wise, as far as I know so long as it has a low flow but can manage the amount of waste that is being created (I think! don't take my word for it until someone else jumps in!) it should be fine. I have a 2ft tank and use a fluval 2 on that and a 4ft tank and use a fluval 4 on it :) Live plants can also help with your nitrate levels and give the little one somewhere to hide.

I swear by fluval, and on a 45L tank a fluval 105 with a spray bar would do well.

Temp is a pretty constant 18c.

I'm gonna order a filter this w/end.

Sorry to repeat myself but should I take him out while the filter ages..I only have 1 tank but could put him in a tub?

No, you can cycle the tank with your Axolotl in it, you just need to keep a close eye on water parameters and do water changes when ammonia is present.

Cool..thanks for all your advice..I'll let u know how it goes!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back