Question: Noisy Filter - Need something quiet

mjoyal4

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Matt
I keep trying different filters but I cannot seem to find one that is suitable for my needs. I have a 10 gallon tank. I'm looking for something that is quiet

I tried the Tetra Whisper 3i In-Tank Filter and I currently have the Top Fin Power 10 Filter which is even louder.

I know they're cheaper filters and you get what you pay for, but I'm kind of strapped for money right now.
Is there any filters out there you'd recommend that are very quiet?

Thanks for the help.

PS Is this one any good?

Marina i25 Internal Filter - Internal Filters - Filters - PetSmart

For a 10 gallon tank, you should avoid internal filters as they can easily raise temps of a small volume of water. Just go with a small HOB filter, just make sure the water flowing into the tank isn't too turbulent, or put something to disrupt the water flowing back into the tank.

Are you sure all the pieces in your topfin filter are placed correctly? That's a fine filter, and shouldn't be loud as long as it is running properly.

Okay, so no internal filter it is.

The noise seems to have softened since I first set it up. I think it'll be fine then. Would placing the filtration cartridge in quiet it any more? I didn't put that in just yet in case I was to return this.

EDIT
Also, best way of slowing current? What can I place to reduce the flow?

Last edited:
Plants in front of where the water flows out...what exactly is making sound? If it is the water splashing, you can fill the tank more..if it is a grinding or clicking sound it is likely the impeller.

Right, thanks.
Humming then the occasional grinding even though there's nothing in there I could imagine that would make it do that.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back