Best ways to 'catch' an axie?

lisordactyl

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Display Name
Lisa
Clifford has a fungus again but as it's spreading I've decided to give him bi-daily salt baths and transfer him to the fridge.

I've set up the spare fridge & managed to fix it so the light doesn't come on, sorted out bottles of dechlorinated water and a bottle of salt water...but I cannot for the life of me catch him to transfer him. He's still very feisty.

What's the best way to catch the little guys? When transferring him before I've just used tupperware to catch him, but I'm not sure if that's an option here..?

Thanks in advance.

I just grab mine, or use a tupperware and gently coax them in.

When you say "managed to fix it so the light doesn't come on", I hope all you mean is you took the bulb out.

Do you coax them in and still get a little of the water in the tupperware? Do you need to have 100% fresh dechlorinated water in the first instance?

And yes, that's all I meant about the fridge. Fix makes it sounds like more than it is...but it made me feel all technical and stuff :cool:

I use a large fish net with my guys and use my hand underneath to support them, works well and it has never stressed them out yet.

I use both the above methods, either use a big net or grab them, depends how they are behaving, they can be very elusive when it comes to nets! If you're lucky, they might go into a hide you can quickly drag out of the water :p

i slowly move my hand until my fingers are around him and i close my hands very slowly and i dont lock them im my hand i just try to reach my fingers under his belly so i can move him ,when im almos in the top i turn my hand so the axie is in the palm of my and and then i take him out closing my hand without squeezing XD and there it goes hes out hehe but offcourse yours can be a bit scared and dont like hands but mine i think he even likes to be on my hands hehe

In the end, I just went for the 'coaxing' method to get him in his tupperwear fridge house. Now after being in the fridge he's more mellow and doesn't mind being gently picked up for the salt-bath-to-fridge-house-transfer :)

I may invest in a net to add to my 'kit'!

Thanking you muchly for sharing your methods :kiss:

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back