This seems stupid but...

Boo Penguin

Reaction score
Country
Australia
I'm worried about my axi tank being too cold.

Its now autumn where I live and my room is the coldest in the house, tank temp today his a low of 10 decrees C... is this too low?

Should I perhaps even but a heater for the winter months?

They will be just fine without any additional heating. You may feel cold but your axies will be loving it. I'm not a big fan of the winter but it sure is the easiest time of year for looking after your axolotls.

Regards Neil

That is a little to cold because axie digestive systems slow down at that temp but I wouldn't add a heater for the hall of winter because your axie may get burnt from the heater. you could only add the heater after water changes or you could heat the water in buckets but the change in water temp may stress your axie. Is it really that cold, its been very hot the last few weeks

That is a little to cold because axie digestive systems slow down at that temp but I wouldn't add a heater for the hall of winter because your axie may get burnt from the heater. you could only add the heater after water changes or you could heat the water in buckets but the change in water temp may stress your axie. Is it really that cold, its been very hot the last few weeks
Fair enough, I thought that adding a heater might not be a really good idea. Mmm its pretty cold here (I live in Australia... so cold for our autumn), gets down to about 5 degrees in the night (room temp not tank temp)

I don't think It's a stupid question.
I was actually wondering about this myself.

It was 9C this morning when I got up D:

Your axolotl will be fine. They will not want feeding as often, but keep offering food once or twice a week. I would not advise warming and adding water to the tank as the temperature fluctuations may upset your axolotl.

I think I would be more worried about you having such a cold room :eek:

Your axolotl will be fine. They will not want feeding as often, but keep offering food once or twice a week. I would not advise warming and adding water to the tank as the temperature fluctuations may upset your axolotl.

I think I would be more worried about you having such a cold room :eek:
Thats good to hear, I'll keep offering her food... she's never turned down a meal yet. Especially the yummy earth worms I finally managed to get my hands on

Lol its a little chilly... but I'm acclimatising myself for next year when I head oversees... going to be real cold then. Plus I have a really warm quilt and lots a blankets

In my opinion, I don't think 10 deg C is too low. I believe they actually like the cold and when sick, it is recommended to put them in the fridge where they can be stress free and stuff.

I live in Minnesota and it can get pretty cold here. My axololts live in the basement and it can get as cold as 10 deg C as well and they don't seem to be bothered by it. And like Julia said, they'll just eat less because their metabolism slows down, but they'll be okay. My axolotls actually have less gill fungus when it comes winter time because the water is cold.

Good luck.

While I agree with the comments about the temperature not being too cold, I would like to add that adding a heater to a tank of axies can be done safely if you select the proper heater. There are heaters made that have a plastic cage around them to keep animals like axies from brushing up against them. I have used one in my African Frog aquarium successfully.

Thanks everyone for your comments... I'm always glad for advice

@Bunny... your avatar pic is sooo cute!!!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back