Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

New Axolotl owner

kmhealy

Reaction score
Hi!

So, I've had my axie for about a week now. I think I'm doing everything correctly (I did a lot of research) but I just want to make sure everything seems okay.

He/she (don't know the sex yet) is just barely 2 inches long. I have it in a 3 gallon tank with some PVC pipe to hide in and aquarium sand as the substrate. I also have a filter running (it came with the tank) that doesn't seem to be too strong. Actually, the axolotl will swim up next to it and attach its tail to the intake. I thought at first the filter was too strong but then I watched it do it willingly, it doesn't try to swim away or have any issues getting away, and the intake isn't strong at all, so I'm thinking this is just a quirk it does occasionally when it decides to float around....:confused:

When I got it, the shop told me that they were currently pellet fed, so I have been feeding it pellets, which it gobbles up everyday. I tried bloodworms once. They went over really well, and also all over the tank. :D The only problem I have been having is the temperature. During the day, I can usually keep it between 66-70 degrees F, but at night (ie when my AC unit isn't really on) it gets warm. I wake up to find the tank around 72 degrees F, so I have to cool it down. Any ideas on how to avoid this without freezing the poor little axie all night?

All of my water readings seem to be pretty good. I tested the water 2 days ago, pH was about 7.2, nitrites were 0, nitrates a little above 0 (tank is just starting to cycle I think...) and ammonia was at .25. I did around a 30-40% water change today, so I'll test the water again later or tomorrow. The axie seems to be normal. It spends most of its time exploring the bottom or hanging out at the bottom of the tank. It gets what I guess are "hyper" spells sometimes and will zoom all over the tank, and sometimes it will just float around lazily. Sorry for the really long post, I just want the little axie to be happy and healthy. Any input/ideas are greatly appreciated! :happy:

Here it is!
axie1.jpg

axie2.jpg

carsona246

Reaction score
have you tried a fan? I got one off amazon, and it keeps my tanks in the safe zone all the time. You don't have much to worry about if it's only at 72 every once in a while, but if you wanted an easy way to lower the temp, a fans pretty easy to setup.

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Axolotls can safely (and happily) handle temperatures down into the 50F's. It'll be too cold for you long before it's too cold for your axolotl!

kmhealy

Reaction score
Thanks!

I have tried a fan, but it doesn't seem to help much at night. It is pretty hot here. Also, I have just started putting an ice bottle in the tank overnight. It keeps it a little cooler...I am just worried that it is causing temperature changes too quickly.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1