Aggression in adults

puppetmaster04

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys,

My golden axie has injuries on both wrists which must be from the female biting him :(

They're both adults, why would this happen? I'm feeding them 2 bloodworm cubes every other day, sometimes 3 and they both get an even share. They're pretty fat, and the female has laid several batches of eggs recently so maybe this is the cause.

I'm worried as I don't know if these wounds become infected. I noticed the first wrist was red yesterday, and tonight the other one is the same.

Luckily he is currently sitting right at the front of the tank facing out, with his little hands out so I managed to get a few pics. It's so sad, like he is crying out for help.

I'm separating them anyway so they don't reproduce anymore, but this won't be for several weeks.

Attachments

• IMAG0863.jpg
    IMAG0863.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 125
  • IMAG0862.jpg
    IMAG0862.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 126
  • IMAG0861.jpg
    IMAG0861.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 129
  • IMAG0860.jpg
    IMAG0860.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 124
It would have been an accident. Your boy moved his legs at the wrong time and she thought it was food:eek:. Keep an eye out for fungus, make sure the tank is clean and cool and he should be ok. His legs will heal, axies are amazing at healing.
If you are worried about it happening again you can make sure their tank has a few hides and place some plants providing extra spots to hide.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back