Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Salamander antibiotic shot

Otterwoman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
If a doctor were to give an antibiotic shot to a salamander/newt, where would the injection site be? Anyone ever seen a doctor give one?

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
I believe it´s in the arm, too. In certain species the veins in the limbs are very noticiable, perhaps that´s the reason.

Otterwoman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks all- I am concerned about the lung being hit and was thinking if excess skin were lifted and injected (like with cats) or in the abdomen (just the edge). I don't think you'd want it to go directly in the vein, though?

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
I was just guessing, i´m no vet xD Never done it myself, just thought that might have been the reason.
I would have thought you´d want the injection to be intravenous, is it done differently in animals?

Last edited:

froggy

Site Contributor
Reaction score
I think that it will also depend on the drug to be given (some need to go straight into the blood, others under the skin etc). Hopefully one of the vets on the site can clear it up. Which species do you need injected and why?

C

beefsteak

Reaction score
I would think the veins on a salamander would be too small to actually hit, even with one of those micro fine, half cc. insulin needles. Unless the animal was as big as a hellbender or bigger. Maybe? I was also wondering which species you're treating and why? I always thought the tail would be a good spot to inject, all muscle. But this vet I talked to one time said no. Something about the medication would go strait into the liver and kidneys, causing organ failure. I think he went for a spot just behind the head, but Im not sure it was a long time ago. It was a large ribbed newt with severe bloat. Sadly, It died a few days later!
Good Luck!!

herpvet

Veterinarian
Reaction score
Hi,

It depends on the drug, the preference of the vet to some extent, and maybe the injection volume.

Intravenous injection (rare, only used generally in critical situations) would basically be in the ventral tail vein.

Intracoelomic dosing (as described in the article linked) may be used but risks laceration of internal organs, as well as being subject to renal portal system effects (see below)

Intramuscular could be in the limbs or epaxial muscles (round the spine). Muscle damage is likely, depending a bit on drug and dose

Subcutaneous dosing is theoretically not possible on caudates or caecilians; they have effectively no subcut space. Subcutaneous lymph sacs exist however and may be dosed by a basically similar method

Topical (transcutaneous) dosing is feasible and considered generally effective in amphibians (with a suitable drug/volume

The tail/rear half of body thing is because amphibians have a renal portal system - basically the blood from the rear half of the body flows through the kidneys before going back through the heart and into general circulation. The theory is that this could either a) risk kidney toxicity if it's that type of drug or b) be cleared significantly from the blood before becoming effective (if it's kidney-excreted). The limited evidence we have in herps generally suggest that it doesn't actually make a significant difference in practice but it is still a risk - unless there is a very good reason for injecting in the back half, best to avoid it.

Hope this helps,

Bruce.

If a doctor were to give an antibiotic shot to a salamander/newt, where would the injection site be? Anyone ever seen a doctor give one?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!