Mouth fungus?

Catherine1

Reaction score
Country
Australia
hi.
my axi speackals has mouth fungus. i've been giveing her salt baths and i think she's getting better. the fungus used to fill her mouth. how do i tell if she's getting better without shoveing my finger in her mouth? :confused:
p.s. is it healthy for axolotls to poop alot?:uhoh:

Is she eating normally?? Keep doing the salt baths until you havent seen the fungus for 2 days. Can you get her to open her mouth(using food) and while it is open can you have a quick look in her mouth?

Is she eating normally?? Keep doing the salt baths until you havent seen the fungus for 2 days. Can you get her to open her mouth(using food) and while it is open can you have a quick look in her mouth?

she eats twice a day (before the salt baths she was incredibaly thin) and she inhales her food:p. i struggle to get a look. the fungus is a similar colour to her mouth so it's hard to tell unless it's sticking out her mouth.

It would be hard but i dont know what else to do sorry.....I would worry about forcing her mouth open incase you made the issue worse....Im sure others will help out with some advice soon.

It would be hard but i dont know what else to do sorry.....I would worry about forcing her mouth open incase you made the issue worse....Im sure others will help out with some advice soon.

thanks. i fed her today (she inhaled as usual:p) and she missed and sorta pulled back and lunged again (sort of like snakes do:wacko:). a heap of mold sort of slipped out so i think she's getting better.

That is great news. Well done. Sorry I couldnt be much more help. Just keep an eye on her and if you see it starting to come back start the salt baths again, you might even have to take her to the vet(only cause the fungus is in a place that cant be seen everyday so you dont know if it is gone for sure).

thanks. my friend is studying to be a vet and she suggested the salt bath over facebook so she hasn't actualy seen her scinse the fungus got bad. she's been very active too! (she's been inactive scince her tank-mate died).

My axie seems to have the same problem, I also am following up with salt baths. I didn't really think it was possible. I'm glad you think its starting to heal up for you, my poor axie just seems to get worse.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back