Illness/Sickness: Help! Strange knobs on axolotl body

Precious

Reaction score
Country
Lithuania
Hello!
I need a little help..
After few days I noticed that there are strange nubs on axolotl body. Also, his one eye after night turned into white. I have got this wild type axololt for 6 months and he was fine all the time.. :confused: He has got good appetite and behaves normaly.. But I am worrying about those nubs on his body and head. Those, who are on head, are growing bigger.
What this could be?
The water parameters are fine.

Attachments

• IMGP7471.JPG
    IMGP7471.JPG
    127.1 KB · Views: 1,744
  • IMGP7480.jpg
    IMGP7480.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 351
  • IMGP7473.jpg
    IMGP7473.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 377
To me it looks like a fungus, in which case salt baths would help. He is a very pretty axie!

That isn´t fungus, but it could be an infection caused by parasites or bacteria. I would suggest to look for a vet to take a smear test.
What are the exact water parameters and the temp?

Tina

Ah sorry I was wrong there! I hope you can get it sorted anyhow

That isn´t fungus, but it could be an infection caused by parasites or bacteria. I would suggest to look for a vet to take a smear test.
What are the exact water parameters and the temp?

Tina

Well, the water parameters are fine - pH 7, gH 16, kH , NO2 0mg/l and NO3 - 25mg/l, every week i do 50% water change.
I am very worried, because these knobs are multiplying.. :confused: His behave is normal and he eats a lot..

What are you feeding your axolotl, and does anything else share his tank?

I agree with Tina in that your axolotl needs to see a vet, sooner rather than later. The longer this goes on, the harder it may be for your axolotl to recover.

What are you feeding your axolotl, and does anything else share his tank?

I agree with Tina in that your axolotl needs to see a vet, sooner rather than later. The longer this goes on, the harder it may be for your axolotl to recover.

I give him bloodworms and sometimes earthworms..He lives alone in his tank.
The worst thing is that in our country there are no vet who understands about axolotls..Here we dont have even a vet, who can take good care of guinea-pigs..
:(
Maybe it can be some bacterial infection? So, i could try to treat him with some medicine? I just don't know what to do. .

Even if a veterinarian doesn't know much about axolotls, they will be able to tell you what is causing the infections. That will allow you to determine what type of medication would be appropriate.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back