Photo: Can anyone help me?

st92

Reaction score
Country
Scotland
I got two new axies, so I now have 3, but have no idea if they're male or female? Can anyone help?

Attachments

• IMG-20110514-00022.jpg
    IMG-20110514-00022.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 258
  • IMG-20110514-00025.jpg
    IMG-20110514-00025.jpg
    114.5 KB · Views: 348
  • IMG-20110514-00021.jpg
    IMG-20110514-00021.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 243
How old are they? not sure if its still too young to tell but I would suggest that the second picture is maybe male and the other two female (if they are old enough to mature)
I'm sure someone with more experience will correct me though, beautiful axolotls by the way :)

I agree with Kirsty, the one in the middle looks like a male and the other two females. Are they kept together or separate? How old are they?

They're about 7-9months as far as I know :) and are kept together in a 3ft tank :)

They're about 7-9months as far as I know :) and are kept together in a 3ft tank :)

I was just asking because since it appears you have male and female, you might want to be prepared for the possibility of babies.

Yeah I'm hoping for babies =D is there anything I can do to encourage mating?

I am not the most experienced here by any stretch of the imagination but im not sure the're old enough, pixie is just reaching maturity and shes nearly a year and a half old, but I
could very well be wrong.

Last edited by a moderator:
There is not a lot you can do to encourage breeding and in all honesty would not recommend it until you are totally knowledgable about all aspects of keeping and breeding. it is very hard work with a high mortality rate, it is also very expensive and time consuming, i have bred them for several years and after the first time decided I had to be cruel to be kind and only remove a handfull of eggs from the tank for rearing and leave the rest for the parents. i know this sounds callous but believe me it is not. It is far worse struggling for hours a day trying to keep as many as possible alive to see them die 1 by 1.
Please think long and hard and do your research first, if you decide to breed when you understand all the pitfalls good luck and happy rearing.
1 last thing I found that by rearranging the tank and doing large water change so the water is colder acts as a stimulant. But not always.

There is not a lot you can do to encourage breeding and in all honesty would not recommend it until you are totally knowledgable about all aspects of keeping and breeding. it is very hard work with a high mortality rate, it is also very expensive and time consuming, i have bred them for several years and after the first time decided I had to be cruel to be kind and only remove a handfull of eggs from the tank for rearing and leave the rest for the parents. i know this sounds callous but believe me it is not. It is far worse struggling for hours a day trying to keep as many as possible alive to see them die 1 by 1.
Please think long and hard and do your research first, if you decide to breed when you understand all the pitfalls good luck and happy rearing.
1 last thing I found that by rearranging the tank and doing large water change so the water is colder acts as a stimulant. But not always.

I would also add that if the axolotls are closely related, breeding is not recommended (+ if you got the 2 new 'lotls from the same breeder or even city, the chances are they are related). I'm very tempted to try breeding my 2 golden axies, since the goldens are in demand around here, but I'm being a good girl + have the girls + boy in seperate tanks, because breeding between brother + sisters is not a great idea (the same with many other animals)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back