Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

How much food should a i give at each feeding?

vlcuXX

Reaction score
Hey guys i bought 5 C.Orientalis a couple days ago and was wondering how much blood worms should i feed to each one and how often? They are about 2 inches was also wondering if they are sexually mature at this size? Also after i put in a big plant in my aquarium the one i think is female cuz of belly size difference (not bloated) grasped on to the plant with her hind legs and started fanning her tail, is this breeding behavior?

vistajpdf

Reaction score
My adults are more like 4 inches, so these may be juveniles. Are they fully aquatic? Where did you get them? Here's a good caresheet, though I see nothing about frequency of feeding. Caudata Culture Species Entry - Cynops orientalis - Chinese firebelly

I feed my adults 2-3 times / week, as much as they can eat in a few minutes. I feed mine a variety of live and frozen/thawed foods. The problem with frozen and thawed bloodworms is that they can foul the water quickly, so you don't want to overfeed them. Live blackworms live in the water and won't mess up the water.

I feed my aquatic juveniles almost daily. Other, more experienced, hobbyists may have better suggestions, but this is what has worked for me. My terrestrial juveniles
also eat almost daily. My believe my original pair had been wild caught. They did not eat for weeks and wouldn't go in the water for weeks after purchasing them. It is a sign of stress.

My female laid eggs on plants, live and plastic. She would grasp the plant and deposit the eggs, one at a time.

Good luck,
Dana

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Yes, they are likely to be sexually mature at that size. Since they are recent arrivals, I would recommend feeding them daily. Once they are settled and eating well, you can decrease frequency. Feed them as much as they will eat in about 15 minutes, and be sure to remove all uneaten food so it doesn't foul the water. If they are shy, they may eat better if you aren't watching.

Are they staying mostly in water? If they are clinging to land, it will be hard to get them to eat non-live food. These FAQs may have some more tips
Caudata Culture - Frequently Asked Questions

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1