Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Stubborn little thing

kirsty

Reaction score
Is it normal to be so stubborn?
Two days ago Spongebob left Squidward 2 of his little gifts after i reunited them, I removed them as soon as I saw them in the hope Squidward hadn't accepted these gifts. Then today he left her 2 more.
The last few times Spongebob has deposited he has left around 2 or 3 on one day and thats it for about a month, do male axies normal deposit a few times and maybe I have just missed it? Or will he just keep depositing while I am removing them?
I'm hoping I have removed the new 'gifts' in time too as Squidward hasn't really had much luck with laying :(

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
By removing Squidward and then putting her back in the tank, Spongebob sees her as a possible new mate, and will probably do that every time you remove her.

kirsty

Reaction score
I don't keep removing her I keep removing the sperm things he is depositing, I have now left one hidden out of reach and he isn't leaving anymore so I'm guessing thats working

kirsty

Reaction score
"Guessing thats working" in this situation is probably going to end with a pregnant Axolotl.

No, I moved it so it was totally out of reach and I most definitely do not have a pregnant axolotl :) have removed it now (only left it in there for a day or so) and they are both happy now and there are no eggs :) until the next time I don't reach the tank in time

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Kirsty, it only takes one spermatophore, and you've got eggs. I fear your method of axolotl birth control is like playing roulette.

kirsty

Reaction score
but the female has to be able to reach it for her to become pregnant, if she can't get to it there can be no eggs, its not like i left it sitting in the middle of the tank. I don't not want eggs ever just not this time as she laid some recently and didn't have a good time doing so.

Jossie

Reaction score
I think what Kaysie means is that eventually you're going to miss one and end up with eggs.

kirsty

Reaction score
yeah, thats what I thought which was why I tried explaining this was only for this time around, as I said I don't never want eggs just not so soon after the last lot - been a while now so its not so bad if I miss them

Erzs

Reaction score
I thought it was only a few weeks ago Squidward was having trouble laying eggs? If that is the case I think it would be a pretty bad thing if you missed one so soon after that. :(

zoezakella

Reaction score
Its also very easy to miss them whilst you are sleeping ;) Jabba laid some eggs whilst I took my kids to the park for the afternoon, what a present for home time :D Sadly about 4 weeks later we went on holiday and after a strict talking to neither Jabba or Finley used birth control so again their were eggs!!!

Seen as Jabba is just too irrestistable for the boys and my stern talkings to are blatantly being ignored (ummm same thing happens with my 2 and 4 year old kids) I have decided to set up my other tank for her until the 2 babies I have kept get big enough to go in with either her or the boys (am hoping at least one is a girl to keep Jabba company) :D

Anyway good luck!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1