More Mouth Fungus

Cas

Reaction score
Country
Australia
What a bizarre case of chance, with already a question here about mouth fungus, still I thought I'd better put my question in a new thread as it differs slightly.

On the weekend when I was watching my Axie I noticed that she was sucking in and out a massive blob of white fungus looking stuff. In I went with a pipette and gently coaxed out that massive blob. She didn't flinch or fight but it took a lot of gentle sucking to get it out I think mostly because it was quite thick and she didn't want to help mummy by opening her mouth, when she finally yawned it just floated out.

She had stopped eating a week earlier and I couldn't work out why, I guess this was why, but I'm wondering if anyone else has experience this and with poor eating? The other thread there isn't a problem of eating, but getting Zora to eat has been an on going battle the last 3 weeks. Her gills looked normal with no sign of external fungus, until today where they have shrivelled to almost nothing. If I hadn't noticed the fungus breathing in an out, I wouldn't have known she was sick. Since sunday she's getting salt baths and I've lowered the chiller temperature to 14 degrees also figured that would kill of remaining fungus or at least slow the growth.

Has anyone else experienced this? I'm hunting back through threads now. Is it worth placing her in the fridge she hasn't been eating though and I want to fatten her up. Any ideas? Do they start eating again, and anyone know if there is the possibility of more fungus further inside?

I'm not experienced in this, but my axie is going through pretty much the same thing too.

I have moved him to the fridge. I recommend this because it's easier to monitor eating/pooping habits.

I've also been giving my axie daily salt baths.. and they have been helping tremendously. Fungus is almost non existent.

I would say that you should move to fridge, give salt baths, and continue doing so for 2 - 4 days after you can't see any more fungus on your axie..

Good luck! =]

Thanks for replying, I was starting to think no one would :(.

I think the fridge may be a good Idea, but I had to reconsider, I cant trust my fridge not to freeze her. I've tested the fridge and the average temp seems to be 2.1 degrees Celsius (I need a new fridge, Im sick of this one freezing everything lol).

I've lowered the chiller even further to 8 degrees to stimulate a fridge. Still with twice daily salt baths, her gills now look shocking, and after placing a waterproof penlight next to her mouth the fungus inside is shocking. Its not at the front but a solid mucus white blob blocking the view down her throat, its surreal looking thats for sure. It also seems to be attacking her left nostril now, its enlarged by comparison to the other.

Im afraid this might be the end. Since she's the only one in the tank I and I'm home all day writing my thesis I can say she's pooped once yesterday, it was the normal size. She doesn't move and sits there with her mouth wide open, but I'm going to keep trying.

Is your axie still eating? I pushed some fish flakes in her mouth and tried to flush them in but they are blocked by the fungus. Its frustrating I feel like if I get that out then it was be all good, and she'd fatten up to the plump axie she was before.

Well I might as well tie this off. She died overnight. I've had a better look and the fungus blob was a solid wall at the back of her throat. The enlarged nostril was covered over with what looked like a blood blister.

It happened so fast,early last week she was still happily nomming my fingers at dinner time, sunday I notice a blob of fungus in her mouth, by tuesday her gills had fungus and by friday she's gone. I don't want to scare anyone into thinking theres no hope, but this certainly was fast acting. In saying that I don't know how long the fungus may have been in her mouth, but I can say she was eating still a little over a week ago. It would've been helpful to know how old she was, but I got her as an adult, and the shop where I got her had taken her from an owner who had to move and couldnt take her with them, so it would be anyones guess.

Good Luck AlissaMae, I'm glad yours looks like its pulling through :)

Sorry for your loss - sounds like you did what you could in the time given + at least she had a nice place to spend the end of her life :(

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back