Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Does he/she look sick?

axolotl141

Reaction score
do you think she/he looks sick there is a before and after shot the before looks much better than now :(

after...................................before

Attachments

• P1010108.jpg
    P1010108.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 265
  • P1000680.jpg
    P1000680.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 247
Last edited:

axolotl141

Reaction score
pleeeeeeaaassss!!!!! help me :(..... and if you can could you tell me what sex smokey is?

iChris

Reaction score
first off, remove that gravel. your axie has probably swallowed some of it, and this can cause impaction of the digestive tract which can be fatal. the only substrate suitable for axies is sand, or not having one at all. remember, axies come naturally from a freshwater lake, and that would imply a substrate consisting of sand and or mud would occur in said habitat.

apart from that, your axie seems fine. a well fed axie should have a body as wide as it's head, and should be fed on live earthworm and bloodworm.

as long as your water tests and temperature all check out fine, you will be doing ok.

axolotl141

Reaction score
ohhh thanks so much i was really worried heaps about smokey thanks again
Michael

axolotl141

Reaction score
but do you know why does he have blacky type gill other than his red ones in the 'before' picture and could you tell what sex smokey is? and why smokey is shedding so much?

iChris

Reaction score
He may be shedding because there could be a water quality issue. Axis don't have scales, so they are susceptible to ammonia burns. This could also explain why his gills are different. It's hard to tell what sex he is from the pictures you have provided, but males have pronounced bumps just behind their back legs and females don't. You can usually tell what gender they are when they are about a year old.

axolotl141

Reaction score
what kind of sand would you suggest and how do i check the water quality and i wiil check the PH reading now thanks

Mandy6

Reaction score
PH doesn't matter too much, as long as its stable. Its the nitrate, Nitrite and Ammonia you need to worry about.

Its good to buy a complete testing kit and test the water each week :)

XtaggerungX

Reaction score
about the sand i went to bunnings and got a 20kg bag of kids play sand for about $9 and i only used about half the bag but you have to rinse the sand for quite a while till all the lighter stuff is gone.

axolotl141

Reaction score
thanks for that i hope the little guy will be okay for afew days before i can get the stuff... do you think that river sand with a wash out would do the trick?

memojo1979

Reaction score
thanks for that i hope the little guy will be okay for afew days before i can get the stuff... do you think that river sand with a wash out would do the trick?

Better safe than sorry - go for a bare bottom tank until you get some sand.
Personally, I wouldn't use river sand, as you don't know what else is in there.
Remember to rinse your new sand for AGES (a tip is to put it in a bucket outside + just let a hose run through it, giving it a swirl every so often, until the water runs clear.

I like Smokey's double row of dots down his / her sides ;)

Have you put the later photo 1st? If so, I can see the peeling + the misted up eye is what I noticed 1st - is that just the angle / lighting from the camera? Didn't notice any gill colour change though, despite comparing gill fluffiness / length in both photos while trying to decide on the differences.

axolotl141

Reaction score
yeah the later photo is first i didnt turn out how i wanted it to ;) and heres another photo but i dont know why her eye is cloudy and her gills dont look as healthy im wondering why? ill put it on later the coms screwing up

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
The gills look fine.

Cloudy eyes are usually caused by nutritional deficiencies.

axolotl141

Reaction score
i feed her earth worms, tad poles and axolotl pellets
and no i havnt taken out the gravel yet like im only 13 and im sick at the moment so i cant do much

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
I would stop feeding tadpoles. They can transmit diseases.

If you can't take the gravel out, you need to take the axolotl out of the tank and put it in the fridge. I think you're failing to understand that if it eats the gravel (and it will) it could die.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1