Chopped up worms?

Rhandi Claxton

Reaction score
Country
United States
My 'babies' are now all about 3and 1/2 months old. Most of them are around 4" long, A few are probably longer and some a little smaller. We chopped up some earth worms last night and most of them FEASTED, the ones who did not got their regular blood worms. Just to make sure I am doing this right: We cut them up into 3 or 4 pieces each, let them soak for a few minutes, then rinsed them, and soaked again for about ten minutes. Tonight they don't seem to want them. I don't know if I should keep trying, or just give them some blood worms. Can they still be full from yesterday?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I don't want to waste the blood worms and the earth worms if they are just not hungry.

Thanks,
Rhandi

They're probably full!

At that size, you can go to feeding every other day or so. You don't need to feed them daily.

As for rinsing the worms, it depends on what type of worms you're using. Nightcrawlers just need a quick rinse, where red wigglers need a little longer (sometimes!) because of their noxious fluid.

Hey, are these Cpt Jack's siblings? I never had much luck with bloodworms on him but we went to trout worms with a passion. I get them at Walmart, rinse them off, cut them in half, wait a few seconds for them to ooze a bit, rinse them again then feed him. He eats at least two a day like this. Oh and he said to tell his Momma "HI!!!" !

Aww I love capt Jack... and I am a little jealous about Molly:happy: I have all Goldens and need to expand my brood to include some other types. But since I still have about 75 babies to re-home, it is out of the question right now (but hopefully not for long). Oh and yes these are his siblings. I really hate to let any of them go:(, but seeing all the other wonderful types I have decided I can really start to look for homes for them. Would it be inappropriate to ask to see tank set-up and quiz the potential owners on their knowledge?:wacko:

I did end up getting half of them to eat a piece of the worms (the other half spit them back out). Oh and they are nightcrawlers. The rest of them got a bit of blood worms. Now I will be able to sleep tonight knowing that they at least had something. Whatever worms they don't eat our fish (oscar, and dempseys) will.

The worms definitely seemed to make them happier, (brighter gills, and not attacking the syringe when I spot clean).

Thanks for your replies.

Rhandi

May be a bit difficult to see everyones tank set ups, but you can certainly ask questions about them + other axie care. And, obviously, direct people to this wonderful forum ;)
You'll probably need to take into account that everyone starts somewhere + you might need to inform people of correct care rather than only home them with people who already know, but it is completely up to you :happy:

I have actually typed up a basic care sheet to send with the axolotls when they go to their new homes. I went and talked to the managers at my favorite pet shop. They wanted some, but I only gave them one until I saw how they set up and fed him. I also typed something up for them. I went back and checked on the first one and they did do a great job setting up the tank, so I did bring them 5 more. So far so good.:happy:
This is what their set up looks like. I am a little concerned about the rocks, they look bigger than the baby's heads, but I don't know for how long.

Rhandi

Attachments

• pet_store (2).jpg
    pet_store (2).jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 201
Would it be inappropriate to ask to see tank set-up and quiz the potential owners on their knowledge?:wacko:i

LOL I did but not with pictures of tanks :)

End of the day I did not and dont want any of my babies going to people that did not know what they were doing, so firstly I asked them some questions, secondly got them to join Caudata and add me as a friend and like you I also wrote up a care sheet and let buyers know that I am available anytime via email or phone if they need any help! If someone has done the basic homework then its all good and people that have bought my babies have and I am confident they are all going/gone to good homes :happy:

I did have one lady who enquired about my babies and she was set up with a biorb and gravel for them, lets just say sadly none were available for her :D

Good luck!!!

LOL I did but not with pictures of tanks :)

Pictures would be so easy with cell phones and emails :rolleyes:, but I don't want to seem like a crazy lady...........

I did have one lady who enquired about my babies and she was set up with a biorb and gravel for them, lets just say sadly none were available for her :D

Good luck!!!

Thanks, I have been putting axolotl.org on the bottom of the care sheets. I, too, had someone ask about them, so I gave them the information they requested then asked if they had visited the website. That was two days ago, I have not heard back from her. I doubt I will be sending her one of my babies.LOL. I am thinking about moving my oscar to a 20 gal tank and taking that 55 so I can keep more of the babies. Just gotta get the hubby to agree (it's his favorite fish).:happy:

Maui hated worms at first, now he gobbles them up like caaaaaake. Lu is more picky but still eats. I give them 1.5 baby nightcrawlers a day (they don't want more after that much and are still growing well) I cut them in half or 3rds bc even for babys, these suckers are loooong. I used to cut them up into like 3-5cm bite size pieces when first introducing bc maui was annoyed these weren't blackworms. Honolulu eats anything.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back