Frozen Brine shrimp. Resounding sucsess! live ones next?

HelloKitty

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys, not posted in a while. Been busy gazing at my Axolotls lol! Anyway, up until now they have only ever been fed frozen bloodworm and I was nervous about giving them something new but I bought some frozen daphnia and brine shrip from the aquatic shop and they both went mad over it. I'll have to get a video of them hovering up every single scrap from the tank. How old do they have to be before I can give them live shrimp. I can get them for 10p each from the aquatic shop and I bet my guys would be really excited to stalk something live but I would be nervous about them choking. They are about 3 & 1/2 inches long right now and still ickle!

Depends how big your axies are, you could add them now I see no problem with that. 10p a shrimp! that is incredibly cheap, what type of shrimp are they?
Sam

itty bitty ones. i cant remember exactly what time they were but they were small.

Probably sub adult shrimps? They would be sold cheaper, should check that theyre compatible with the temperature you keep your axies at before getting any.
Maybe you should give live daphnia ago, they live in freshwater so can stay with your axies till they get gobbled :D

It dosn't matter what ege or requirements the shrimp need/are if there just food, anyway they won't just die so you will be able to see your axies hunting them.
if there red/orange they will probably be cherry shrimp, if there clear through there probably glass/ghost shrimp if there brown and have thrilly gills then they could be bamboo shrimp (but genrally there quite large and exspensive) but there are many spices of shrimp such as the red crystal shrimp witch is red and white but I seriosly doubt that the shrimp you are talking about are red crystal shrimp because the ones you are talking about are 10p! and the cheapst and lowest grade go for a minimum of very rarly £10.
Sam:happy:

I bought live 'river shrimp', whatever they are, from my local shop and the axies went mad for them. Try adding blood worm at the same time for an epic feeding frenzy (the shrimp love em). They were 10p each and i've probably put over 100 in over a year. However they do 'smarten up' and although most get eaten within minutes i have had some in there for over 6 months because they figure out that the big pink thing ate all their friends and they are best to stay away. They are now like pets as and they clean up the odd stray axie poo as well.:p

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back