Question: Question about moving

forester

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Kat
Would it be harmful for my new lotls to order them now and then take them with me when I move in two weeks? Should I just wait?

How far are you moving? Axies travel quite well dependant on age. I put each of my 8 inch axies in their own tuppaware containers full of tank water and then into a dark box with padding around the containers. They're happy in the boot of the car like this for hours.

They'll be absolutely fine, mine were out of the tank for about 4 hours whilst I set up the tank at the other end of the journey. Someone here said they did a 6 hour drive with their axies.

Whether they travel well or not, wouldn't it be better to wait the 2 weeks? Difficult, I know, but it's not very long + not only will it remove the risk, but it'll also be 1 less thing to worry about during moving, which can be stressful enough as it is ;)

It's just so hard to wait! :p The move in keeps getting pushed back, and I have had Jay holding two lotls for me for two or three weeks now. I feel bad about that. Plus, I'm a bit bummed, and I figured go ahead to get them would cheer me up. :eek:

Do you have your tank set up? if it is fully cycled keep the filter media in tank water over the jurney if it isnt its best to get your tank set up and up and runing a bit befour you get the axies both ways i would still say wait because even if your tank is cycled and you take the media in tank water the tank and bacteria will need time to recover.
Sam

I would wait. It's a pain to move axolotls, tanks, water, filters, etc. Trust me.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back