2 inch white axolotls with white eyes?

xxianxx

Reaction score
Country
Wales
Display Name
nai live
I obtained a pair of two inch axolotls with completely white eyes, ive had leucistics before but they were a lot larger when i first had them. The question i want to know is, will the eye colour develop to black or pink as they get bigger? or is this just an unusual morph?

Sounds to me that you might have a pair of white albinos, but it's hard to tell from your description.

It might be easier to tell what type of colour it is if you upload a picture- that and everyone loves to see new axies!

These guys are milk white with the eyes the same colour, i was just asking whether this is a regular occurance and the eyes would change to black or pink as the axolotls develop. I will post some pics when i find my card reader.

The do sound like white albinos or maybe axanthic albinos you'll know which one by the presence of shiny rings around the eye. If it has a shiny iris like our eyes do or shiny patches anywhere on their skin then you're looking at a white albino in either case no their eyes will not go black. They may go pink as the animal gets older but babies are 'born' with the eye color that they keep. Leucistics hatch with black eyes as do wilds and melanoids while albinos hatch with white/yellow eyes.
I believe axanthic albinos are less common than the white albinos but they are not new I'm afraid but still very beautiful.

There are some pics of adults on http://www.axolotl.org/genetics.htm]This page at the bottom.

I think they are axanthic though its hard to be 100% as they keep hiding and i dont want to stress them by handling them, i saw them in a pet shop which i sell african clawed toads to, not recognising their type i offered the owner a 8 inch wildtype for them, he happily accepted because he knows if i can breed them he will be getting some back coz he recognised them as being unusual. Thanks.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back