Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Can ghost shrimp harm axolotls

ChristineWgtn

Reaction score
Hi there,
I want to know if it is safe to put ghost shrimp in with axolotls or can they harm the axolotls physically like attack their filaments on their gills? Thanks.

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Ghost shrimp are fine with larger axolotls. Just be aware that an unsuspecting shrimp can quickly become an axolotl snack.

Blaze

Reaction score
I had ghost shrimp damage not only my Axies back but also his feet and mouth, they basically swarmed him and I had to do 2 weeks of salt baths and constant care every 2 hours. Never again will I put them in with an Axie.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1