Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Trying earthworms for the first time. Help

Beate88

Reaction score
I have been using bloodworms for 7 months now because that was what was avalaible and recommended here. But since Charlie started to look a bit skinny and I wanted to spoil him a bit I purchased a box with 15 earthworms :)
First I tried to cut them up in pieces and feed. (they looked HUGE!). He nibbled a bit on the pieces but spit it back out. Tried this for two days without success.
Day three I tried one big live earthworm and *CHOMP*. He attacked it and spent a few minutes trying to swallow it. Success! :happy:
Now it has been two days and he wont accept earthworms anymore :( He just moves away from it.

Can it be he is still digesting? He is a small guy and the worm was probably as long as he was.

smily sam

Reaction score
meybe he is still digesting if hes small, try somthing else like blood worms, just keep othering him earth worms if he gets hungry he should exsept it.
If he dosn't exsept any food leave him a few days then ofer him some, he should be hungry by then.
Sam:happy:

Beate88

Reaction score
One more question. I was a bit worried that eating that giant live worm was a task to great for him. I could see it MOVE inside of him :eek::eek::eek: maybe he is traumatised.

I'll keep offering him though :) I'd love for him to eat earthworms 100% of the time. I feel that the bloodworm would be like us living on...only bread I guess.

smily sam

Reaction score
One more question. I was a bit worried that eating that giant live worm was a task to great for him. I could see it MOVE inside of him :eek::eek::eek: maybe he is traumatised.

I'll keep offering him though :) I'd love for him to eat earthworms 100% of the time. I feel that the bloodworm would be like us living on...only bread I guess.
I don't think its a huge strain on him he will probably get lots of nutriance ect for your axie he will probably make it back in the efort he uses trying to keep the worm down.
You don't have to feed your axie earthworms 100% you can now and again give him a bit of beefheart or something.
Any more questions feel free to ask.
Sam:happy:

daremo

Reaction score
I saw the earthworms moving inside my axie too, there's no problem about it.
You can try chop them up or get smaller ones... if he doesn't like them chopped then you'll have to try smaller ones, but they can eat pretty big worms and don't worry about them moving inside, they die in a few seconds.

axolotlfriend

Reaction score
the crazyest thing is when you see a worm force its way out of your axies butt alive !!!

i've only seen this once but its pretty freaky and the axie didn't seem to comfortable with it

Beate88

Reaction score
the crazyest thing is when you see a worm force its way out of your axies butt alive !!!

i've only seen this once but its pretty freaky and the axie didn't seem to comfortable with it

What?! :eek: That is insane!

Mr Poseidon

Reaction score
Dayton, Oh (summer) Charleston SC (fall winter spr
I just trye earth worms for the first time too!!! my axi was scared at first but after some investigation he ate the **** outta it!
its funny cuz there med size worms and hes only 3in and they try to craw out of his mouth and into the sand!!! every time its like an epic battle Earthworm VS Poseidon. Poseidon always wins!

Good luck Beate88

rebel

Reaction score
Hi, Ive tried earthworms yesterday excet with my newts, they loved it although i advise chopping it up and then feeding it to them, it makes it easier for them and also more then one can eat the worm:happy:

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!