Spots all over albino

ollie

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have recently recieved my first axie as a birthday present her water is perfect temp and ph, nitrate, nitrite wise but i just started to notice little spots all over her body. They are almost the same color as her gills and it is starting to worry me she hasnt stopped eating or been doing anything wierd though. I have read on the pigment changing but not sure if that is what this is i will post pictures asap.

A picture would be helpful, indeed.

What kind of substrate do you have? Do you test for ammonia too? That's more important than either nitrate or nitrite.

Heres a couple i tried, i noticed some little bug looking things all over the inside of the bottom of the tank :eek: and now im really scared that they are bites and im hurting my lil girl. Also i have sand and big rocks in the bottom. and the ammonia is also at zero so idk...

Attachments

• SNC00208.jpg
    SNC00208.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 403
  • SNC00229.jpg
    SNC00229.jpg
    69.2 KB · Views: 266
After doing some research i have realized that the little bugs are cyclops but it just seems like there is alot of them...ive read of white clouds being good at taking care of them but im too worried about them picking at my girl.. I dont really care if they are in there if they arent hurting anything but i just want to be sure.

Your axolotl looks fine.

Cyclops often feed on uneaten food. What is your substrate cleaning regimen like?

I was doing bi-weekly water changes with the gravel vac being careful not to suck up too much sand, but im going to be doing weekly water changes now. I was also wondering how they got in there? I havent put any wood or foregin matter in her tank.

They just appear, and they're a sign of a healthy aquarium (unless you're overrun with them). Weekly water changes will help. Have a look over this article on tank critters.

Kaysie, thank you very much for all of your help, you seem to be one of the smartest nicest people on this forum. I am not over run but there are alot of them in there, I was wondering if anyone ever tried otto cats with their axos? I know combing anything with your axie isnt a good idea but i feel ottos are small enough not to hurt the axie. I was just thinking as something to clean and get rid of the little critters.

Definitely do NOT use Otos. They have sharp spines, and can (and will) impale your axolotl if your axie tries to eat it.

Try upping your water changes and see if that helps.

Also, thanks for the compliments! It's good to know I'm useful ;)

Ok so no ottos, since my last post i have introduced 5 guppies after reading various other posts. Then i did the water change now there are two guppies left but it seems like there are alot more cyclops in there.... it is almost to the point of being overrun. I thought the guppies would eat some of them but i also read that white clouds might be good im just worried that the white clouds will get too big and go after ollie.

By adding more animals to the tank, you're just increasing the bioload. You're adding MORE waste for the cyclops to feed on.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back