Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: Freshly hatched axolotl

trygon

Reaction score
my axololt just birthed eggs but i don't have the resorces most people do to feed them is there an alternate choice of food?

zoezakella

Reaction score
my axololt just birthed eggs but i don't have the resorces most people do to feed them is there an alternate choice of food?

Ok if your axie has just had eggs you have at least 12 days and that is if they are at room temp you can delay this by keeping them colder!!!

You need to feed then daphnia or brine shrimp BOTH of which you can hatch youself OR buy them live from ebay etc....

Hope all goes well :)

zoezakella

Reaction score
no problem :D i found daphnia hard to culture PLUS you need the smaller sizes to feed your babies!!! Brine shrimp are cheap and easy to culture especially if u use a tub and air pump and ready made mix like sera Artemia mix brine shrimp eggs fish fry food 18g | eBay UK but make sure you use something like a tea strainer and a square of kitchen roll to strain the babies through at least 3 times as brine shrimp live in salt water so drain drain drain and when you add pop in the kitchen towel and make sure all the brine shrimp has left it!

smily sam

Reaction score
If you have a lot and not enough food for everything then you can sell them in the for sale section of the site

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1