Question: Silly question, do axolotls need friends?

jaade

Reaction score
Country
Australia
We recently lost one of our axies after ten years. Now I'm worried about our one remaining guy and whether he'll be lonely without her?

They used to spend a lot of time "cuddling" and he seems restless since she's not in his tank any more. I've thought about getting him a friend but I'm worried that wouldn't be the right thing...

Any suggestions on how to keep him happy now he's single again? I've bought him some new plants etc :happy:

Or am I just anthropomorphizing and he'll be fine on his own?

Thanks!
:eek:

Nope axolotls don't need any company at all. I think we all anthropomorphize though

In my opinion, when an axolotl is used to having a friend, it is possible that he gets lonely when the other one dies.
I have two axies and it's actually amazing how they do everything together. They sleep together (next to or on each other) they eat together, they walk together...

I'm not anthropomorphizing here... I just look at the tank and see what is happening. And I'm seeing social behavior.
I don't say that keeping an axolotl alone is wrong, but it irritates me just a little bit :)rolleyes: sorry that's me) to read all the time "axolotls don't get lonely" etc . Seriously, how do you know? If there's an article about social behavior ( or the lack of) in axolotls I would love to read it.
Personally I think social behavior in axolotls is very underestimated.

I believe axys like company , they always seem to be sitting on each other and certain axys appear to show a preferance for certain individuals in their tank over others. I have noticed that when i swap axys to different tanks, their tank mates do appear to wander around looking for them and though i cant say they pine for a missing mate i tend to play it safe and leave axys who hang around together in the same tank. Are amphibians capable of feeling emotion? i dont know and neither do you, so i always play on the safe side and have a couple each tank just in case they get lonely.

I don't think it's so much that your axolotl needs a 'friend', but his behavior may change now that there's not another axolotl in the tank with whom he can interact.

If it feels right for you, and you quarantine appropriately, you can get another axolotl.

it's definitely not harmful to keep an axolotl by itself, they're not social animals. You say you're playing on the safe side by keeping a tank mate. What about the potential problems of an axolotl mistaking a tankmate's arm for food? I don't see any problems with keeping an axolotl by itself or with another axoltol(so long as there's enough space) but I don't think there's a "safe side" to keeping two axoltols in the same tank. Whether the axoltol needs company isn't determined by the axolotl, but the owner. The axoltol is fine either way. That being said I keep two in the same tank, and i think their interactions are hilarious.

I dont think a axie cares if he has a mate in the tank with him or not but I have seen cookies behaviour change since Abby passed away. She paces the front of the tank more and looks in abby's hide(which i moved to another spot in the tank) and other places abby would sit during the day. I think she misses him and is looking for him.

Lea,
I found Abraham doing the same since Marilyn's passing. Im not sure if it's just me projecting my feelings on him though.. ha ha.

Sometimes it's not wrong to believe your own eyes ;). I've been searching and searching but can't find a study about social interaction in axolotls in the wild. There isn't any actually...
Furthermore you can't actually compare it either. It is proved that they "communicate " when they mate, so they will be able to communicate when not-mating as well.
Add to that, that they are well fed in captivation. When basic needs are fullfilled it's possible to see other behavior as well. Where a hungry animal is only trying to find food, a satisfied one has time to do other stuff.

For instance, I have 4 rats at the moment. They are very social animals, also towards their own kind. In the wild they even have rather complex social structures.
When I would feed them less (I once had to because they became a little bit fat :) ) they are more agitated and they have more little battles. I'm sure that if I would give them very little food, they would eventually end up killing one another.
And that's actually the same in humans ...

Hi, I'm a new axolotl owner. Speaking on having 2 axolotls together, at what age or size can I have them together? My babies have all their feet, they are over 2", and are well fed. I can put them into a 10 gallon or even 20 gallon tank if need be. Thank you for your time.

Hi, I'm a new axolotl owner. Speaking on having 2 axolotls together, at what age or size can I have them together? My babies have all their feet, they are over 2", and are well fed. I can put them into a 10 gallon or even 20 gallon tank if need be. Thank you for your time.
Hi there! Axolotls can grow pretty fast (I think about an inch a month), and they will be fully grown before you know it. So pretty soon, 20 gallons will barely be enough for one axolotl. In my opinion, you want at the absolute minimum 20 gallons per axolotl, or more preferably 30 gallons per axolotl plus 10 extra gallons for every additional axolotl after that. Some will say 20 gallons minimum plus 10 extra gallons for every axolotl after that, but I personally feel they need and deserve more space and that a 30-gallon tank isn't enough for two axolotls. If you have the space, I recommend giving them plenty of room.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back