Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Bleeding Axy

jaypre

Reaction score
I have had two axy's with fungus. Both really nasty cases. The third Axy is fine, not eating but no obvious signs of illness. I have had the two fridged and salt bathing. One died last week and now the other fridged one is bleeding from its mouth and the fungus is persisting. All three Axys were introduced to the tank on the same day. One came from a house where it had been very healthy. I am thinking the change in environment stressed it and gave the fungus a chance. This is the one that died. It was recovering then was just dead the next day. The other two (the healthy one and the fungusy one) came from a local pet shop. What can I do I don't want to loose Milly after we loss the boss. King Arthur is fine but not eating.I have checked the tank for nitrates and it is fine. The fridged one is getting twice daily water changes and the salt solution is 2tsp/litre and the same temp as the fridge water. What can I do. WE NEED HELP.....:(

Zalth

Reaction score
How long are you keeping them in the salt baths for?

jaypre

Reaction score
Salt baths were only for 10 mins tops twice a day. 2tsp salt/litre..... Milly died this morning.... The third Axy is now looking ordinary in the tank. Help me.... Nitrates are fine. Weekly water change and intank filtration. Sand on bottom of tank and at least 3 hiding areas. Sir Arthur hasn't eaten for 4 days now and is actively backing away when offered food. His gills are still pink but his lip is starting to look grazed. What am I doing wrong. I don't want to kill another. HELP

lea

Reaction score
Have you got your axies in the fridge?? Are you doing salt baths 2 times a day 12 hours apart? What type of salt are you using? You can leave them in the salt baths for no longer that 15 mins. Can you post a photo of your axies???

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1