Hello~

Sammu

Reaction score
Country
United States
I'm new to this site and new to...well...newt, salamanders and other things in general. My mother recently gave me a fish tank to take with my to my college dorm, since the only pets we are allowed to have at my University are aquatic.

I'm not really a lover of goldfish or anything of that category, but I have always wanted an Axolotl. I've seen them here and there, but I've never owned one, nor do I know much about caring for them. I'm currently studying up on what I need and what kind of water to have, etc.

So if anyone can help me learn about them, please let me know!

Welcome to the forum, Sammu:D
How big is the tank your mother gave to you? axolotls are a nice salamander and they can grow fairy big so it is important to have a tank atleast the minimum size for 1 axie, 10gal or 1ft.
Sam:happy:

Hello, Sam!
Ironically, my tank is a 10 gallon one. I would have actually bought my own, a bit bigger than a ten gallon, but the tank I have is the biggest I'm allowed to have in my dorm.

Ok you can keep one axie in that.

I have another question! When you get an Axie, I'm pretty sure you don't just put it in a tank of tap water, do you? What kind of water should I have?

Use decloranater on the tap water or you could use bottled water. Its best if you have time to cycle the tank befor you get the axie. some tips: axies don't like bright light so you don't have to have any, if you do use a low leval light. Axies don't like hot water keep them between ruthly 14(anything below 10 degrees and axies start geting slugish) -18(anything above 21 degrees and axies get stressed, eat more and are more vunrable to desease and fungus) degrees centergrade. Axies don't like fast moving water so don't get a filter with a strong currentike a external powe filter unless you have a spray bar. Hope I've helped, if you have any more questions feel free to ask.

Thanks a lot for answering my questions!

I read that you shouldn't stick small pebbles in with the tank because the Axolotl will eat it. So is it alright if I put sand or something to substitute in there, or nothing at all? Or any plants?

Use aquarium plants and sand is fine.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back