Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Snails in planted Axie tank

Blaze

Reaction score
Hay there!

I have a 3foot planted Axie tank and with new plants comes snails no matter HOW hard I try! Everyone knows how fast snails can take over a tank but I only have a few small ones and they seem to disappear for a while then come back.
The tank has a chiller so the tank is constantly at 16degrees all year round so I was wondering if the snails arn't thriving and dying off before adulthood because of the water temperature?

Thanks,
Blaze

alexx

Reaction score
Depends on the type if snail, could you take a picture?

E.g. Apple snails are tropical so will die at 16, whereas pond snails (ramshorn?) will go to nearly freezing.

carsona246

Reaction score
It depends on how much food they have. I have a ten gallon cherry shrimp tank that had 1-2 snails in there that I thought I'd leave in. Big mistake, within a month my tank is now completely infested. Because you're not going to be feeding your axoltols algae wafers and it's cold water I bet they'll reproduce much more slowly

smily sam

Reaction score
I have snails all over my axie tank and an other small tank which has loads, but ther just small ones wich don't really harm the plants and the axies do't mind them, I still kill them when I see them though:wacko: .
NEVER add apple snails to a planted tank, they destroy EVERYTHING.
Sam:happy:

caseeybrown

Reaction score
My mum has thousands of snails in her tank i swear! Its a tropical tank so theyre thriving too! Theyre tiny.but theyre still reproducing?! Eggs sprout up a few times a month. I also found a snail in my axie tank, but it was about two cms big! Dont know how.on earth that creeped its way into the tank?

smily sam

Reaction score
from what I've herd is a black mistery snail a apple snail, If it is, yes that is bad I recomend you remove it, don't put it in a tank with plants in, they destroy every plant in a matture of hours if they take a long time days. Also axies I'cve heard can swallo them and get them stuck in there froats I have also heard that they can cut axies froat with there "door" at the front which seals them in comopletly, its on spieces mixing disasters.
Sam:happy:

rebel

Reaction score
Put a couple of slices of fruit in top of aquarium set up, over night the snails should be attracted to teh fruit/veg. If it works properly lots of snails should be attached to fruit and you can take out teh fruit with a few snails ech time. It worksed for me:D Hope this helps

Blaze

Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestions guys! They are those tiny brown snails that seem to take over. Sunny only gets earthworms so theres nothing but plants in there to eat and they arn't eating them! I think it's too cold for them to thrive so they die off. I'll just keep an eye out :) Might try the fruit trick!

lea

Reaction score
I also heard that putting a couple of lettuce leaves in does the trick as well.

I have snails appear in my tank from time to time and i dont know where they come from.....i thought they might be in the filter.
My cherry shrimp tank has hundreds of snails and i cant get rid of them.....

memojo1979

Reaction score
My cherry shrimp tank has a small population os snails too. But they're only 2-3mm + since they're only in with the shrimp, I've just left them there. I am very cautious when taking any shrimp though - don't wnt them going to my axie tanks ;)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1