Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Purple sand for 99p!

siona

Reaction score
In case anyone's interested, my local '99p Store' was selling bags of purple play sand :D I bought 2 bags to cover my 3 ft tank and had half a bag left. I rinsed it and it didn't cloud or stain the water too badly. And it's nice and fine. They only had purple in the shop, but there might be other colours in other 99p shops.

Kaytiandpixie

Reaction score
I second Julia's question, and then if it is ok I would do a litttle extra rinsing, till your arm hurts, then a little bit more, because the dye might be a bit iffy.

Last edited by a moderator:

siona

Reaction score
fair point! It was labelled as children's play sand. I rinsed it all through like I did with the other aquarium sand I bought before., and it seems to be fine. No changes in water colour or axie behaviour.

Aaran

Reaction score
Anychance of a photo? I wouldnt mind seeing how it looks in the aquarium. :D

mamatoulouse

Reaction score
i am really interested to know how everything is going with the purple sand........ i would love to get some colored sand for my tank.... i was almost thinking of getting some of those 2mm glass beads... but i am not sure about if the axies would get impacted on them like they would on gravel..

Star

Reaction score
I think 2mm is the maximum accepted as safe so it is up to you if you want to risk it I guess? I personally don't mind bare bottomed so much now but since I took my wild type off the sand she's been less than impressed! There's a post here http://www.caudata.org/forum/f46-be...ilters-substrate/75192-new-tank-set-up-2.html with barbie pink sand though which looks awesome :) Could always check how much it is to ship to the US

siona

Reaction score
Hi sorry, havent checked this thread in a while. I'll post a pic up in a just a sec (i'm just transferring it now). The sand has been fine - both my guys seem in fine health, and no cloudy water anymore.

@Aimz Lotties, I can't remember how large the bags were (wish I'd checked!) maybe 2kg?? Anyway, 1 and a half bags more than covered my 3 foot tank.

siona

Reaction score
looks more blue in the photo, but there it is!

Attachments

• IMAG0722.jpg
    IMAG0722.jpg
    172.7 KB · Views: 431

Aaran

Reaction score
Thanks, i might have to test some :D if i find any ahah!

looks really good.

mamatoulouse

Reaction score
well i was also thinking i might just go pool filter sand .... its so boring but i will take a trip to the craft store and see if i can find those big glass stones....

Star

Reaction score
Ooh I definitely need to pick some of that up! Just means trekking over the water to Liverpool on the train and lugging bags on public transport :( Driving and parking will cost me about £10 :mad:

siona

Reaction score
rubbish! Just lugging 2 bags back to the car took me a while lol! But it'll be worth it :)

mamatoulouse - careful with glass stones. Everyone on here will tell you to avoid anything up to the size of the axie's head. You don't want them swallowing it! (apologies if you already know this - just making sure!)

Aimzs Lotties

Reaction score
siona,

3 kg covering a 3 foot tank?? are you sure?? I saw a 5 kg bag today and looked like it would barely cover a 2 footer..

did you mean pounds maybe??

-Aimz

Star

Reaction score
I'm headed over next week with mum for some purple stuff :) Just ordering my green stuff online now :D

pookiewn

Reaction score
I'm headed over next week with mum for some purple stuff :) Just ordering my green stuff online now :D

If you are making a special trip, it might be worth calling ahead to make sure they have it. Most of the stores don't seem to have it as it was left over last years stock.

mamatoulouse

Reaction score
i ended up scratching the sand idea i ended up using this hand dyed fabric i got in Nigeria, i folded ironed and pinned it so fit under my tank to now it has a design but nothing for my future axie to swallow... but i still think i will end up getting one large flat stones to put on the bottom every so often so it has some traction

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!